Music Match

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Alvarez, Jan 19, 2005.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Does anyone use this software to rip C.D.'s? Is the upgrade worth it?

2. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

This is what I use to rip and burn. It works real well for me. I upgraded several years ago and bought the lifetime upgrades. At the time, you needed to upgrade to burn at faster speeds. I think that is still the case. I have been really happy.

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Me too...I like the "Volume Leveling" feature when I put together my own "mix tapes" (CDs). Plus, you can change the name of the file, if you are really into that sort of thing...

4. John Alvarez

I haven't noticed that feature. What does it do? I'm doing this at work using a T1 connection. Is it slower using dial up when it searches for the cd details?

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

If you are putting together a CD of songs from different sources chances are that the recording levels will vary...sometimes quite noticeably. Volume leveling kind of averages the sound levels to get them close (but not exactly) to the same volume level.

6. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

I use MM as well and love it. Not only does it have great functionality, but is easy on the eyes. [​IMG] I also bought the lifetime upgrades.

I'll point out 4 pieces of MM that I like best;

1. The Ripper is great. It's fast and I have no problems with funky rips.

2. It's getting much better with the DAP compatibility. I've had a Nomad Zen Xtra, Nomad JB3, Rio Carbon, and Rio Karma. They have all worked well with MM.

3. The library funtionality is awesome. Multiple libraries, easy maintenance, very navigable by any ID3 value.

and finally, after extensive work on my original 5000 MP3 library, has the cleanest Tag Database online. Much better than FreeDB and CDDB.

The one con I have with MM is that it is a resource hog. If you're looking for a slim player and library manager that doesn't eat RAM, I wouldn't say this one is in the top 10.

MM has a pretty good online service as well. If you don't mind DRM, this was the one I chose to go with.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I used to love MM (still do actually) but it feels clunky at times. Plus I always feel like it's sending every move I make to the big corporation that probably doesn't exist. I dunno, everything seems so sluggish to me.

It does look the best imo, though. Perfect balance of functionality and aesthetics, no extra gimmicks besides maybe the music store that needs 3gigs of ram for some reason or another. I do like how every song file you click on is just added at the end of your current playlist. They were the first to do this. With iTunes you have to add it to a huge library of files that contains every song you've ever played.

Another positive is that it will work with just about any burner/reader out there. My friend couldn't get Nero or WMP to work reliably with his setup but I told him about MM and after using it he quickly bought the full license. It was also able to identify & rip songs from this wacky multimedia CD-ROM that wouldn't show up in any of the other popular rippers. [​IMG]

If Winamp's speed and tweakability combined with MM's interface it would easily be my favorite player.

8. John Alvarez

I have been using just the free version and seem to like it okay. It does catalog everything nicely. I have been riping them all at work while still doing my work so no problem there. When I'm done I'll take the laptop home and load them on my home machine so I can transfer them to MP3 player. I'm wondering if the full blown version is worth it? My wife has a ton of Spanish c.d.'s to do. Will this work with them?

9. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

If you burn CDs I know it is worth it. The free version has a 4x or 8x limit on burinb speed. If you have a 52x burner, tough shit if you have the free version.