1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Match Jukebox - Anyone upgrade it from basic?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've been working with MMJ for a few days now, and I'm pretty satisfied except for one thing: I'm unable to edit the artist names/song titles. The alphabetizing is ridiculous...the artists are sorted by their first names, and bands with 'the' in their names are grouped together (under, of course, 'T').

Has anyone here upgraded and, within the upgrade version, re-titled the artists' names? Is it pretty painless (aside from the 20 bucks)?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

They are a very reputable company and I've never had problems re-registering using my old serial when I installed MM on other computers. I also bought their Radio MX service which is mp3 quality digital radio for about $4/mo.

Another good reason to register is because the free version only allows you to rip at 5x. [​IMG] Kinda defeats the purpose of a 48x cd-rom.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

John:

I've upgraded, but as far as I know, the alphabetization in Plus is identical to alphabetization in the non-registered version.

Still, being a lifetime subscriber, I HAVE gotten my money's worth out of MM nonetheless, and I've had no problems porting keys onto new computers.

4. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

The way these CD ripping software programs tag the music tracks has been a huge pain in the butt for me as well. I have tried a few different programs MM, WMP and so on and I have yet to find one that tag these files correctly. From what i've seen the problem really dosen't lie with MM, it lies with the CD database that MM (and most other CD ripping programs..)uses to tag your files. And as far as I have been able to tell they all use the same database. So it dosen't matter which program you use. You still end up with the same stupid system of tagging files by the artist first name?!?

Sometimes I just have to laugh about it; Beethoven is listed under "L"?!?

And that is just the beggining when you start getting into Classical CDs. Just last night I was working with a 2 CD set of Bach's Brandenbug Concertos. The first 3 are one disc 1 and the last 3 are on disc 2.

For the first disc MM wanted to put the conductor (Sir Neville Marriner) as the artist which is bad enough to begin with but then on the second disc it insisted that the artist should be the orchestra (Academy of St. Martin in the Fields)?????? For the same disc set its trying to use multiple naming conventions. God it just makes me want to pull my hair out.

Getting back with your question. Before you start ripping your CD look in the far left portion of the recorder window. There should be a small window which lists the Artist Name and then below the Album title. You can edit these by double clicking on the artist name in that window. Same with the album titles and so on.

Anyway good luck on yours

Mark

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks for the info, Mark. I sorta figured it out already that I have to manually re-title many of my tunes.

I hope my elementary school librarian isn't alive to witness these atrocities in alphabetizing. [​IMG]

Jon

6. Andy Mack

Andy Mack Auditioning

Wow, can't believe no one mentioned Audiograbber, especially users on this level. MM only allows the use of one encoder, as far as I know, and there are better alternatives such as LAME. Audiograbber is much more involved in the features and settings department, allowing control over virutally every aspect of the rip. You guys may want to check it out. It's not as "point and click" as MM, but if you like control over what you're ripping then it's the only way to go IMHO.

Have a good one fellas.

7. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Audiograbber is fine (I prefer Exact Audio Copy my self, but same principle) because LAME is a much better encoder. I've found that Exact Audio Copy (www.exactaudiocopy.de) does a much better job of tagging things. Of course, it still lists artists as "Phil Collins" and any software will alphabetize that as "P". MusicMatch is great as an MP3 player, and has great use as a batch editor of ID3 tags. I use Exact Audio Copy to rip, and MusicMatch to play.