What's new

Music lacks bass control... (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Ever since I hooked up an external amp to my Receiver, I'm lacking any real bass control for 2 channel music. The external controls for bass management work fine, however, setting my speakers to Large or small makes NO difference whatsoever. Also, I used to have my sub set at about 35% when in 2 channel listening, and now to get that same amout of bass, I have to set it at about 80%.

1) I've tried setting all speakers to small.

2) I called Yamaha support and was told to set the "time level setting of the sub to Zero" which it was already set to.

Basically, I've messed with every known setting on the receiver and CANNOT get good sub response from my sub except for Home Theater.

I've very happy with Home Theater, but 2 channel music is driving me crazy! Shouldn't setting my speakers to large or small make any difference in sound?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have not given enough information....What kind of sub? What main speakers? What model of receiver? What source and connection is being used for 2ch music? What external amp and what is it powering - the sub or the mains?

This may be obvious, but have you calibrated the system using test tones and an SPL meter?

Setting the speakers to large or small should make a noticable difference.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
It's a Yamaha rx-v795, studio 100's, ps-1000 sub, Sherbourn 5/1500a amp. I have the sub hooked up to the subwoofer pre-out on the receiver to the low level inputs on the sub.
It's strange because the subwoofer connection was not touched at all, how would it even know that I have an external amp :frowning:
I calibrated the speakers using the test tones, and the test tone seems to be sending a good signal to the sub, however again, that's from the DVD input not CD.
I'll do further testing tonight with Large and Small settings using 5.1 to see if I can notice any difference.
I would bet my life that the Large/Small setting on my receiver DID make a noticable difference prior to using the Amp when listening to music...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, with basically the same issue. It specifically had to do with using Yamaha receivers with external amps, but the external amp was powering the sub (SVS).

The sub should not know anything has changed, as you said.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check into that thread...

It could come down to a problem with older Yamaha receivers such as the 795..we'll see!

Thanks!

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the thread. I did a search on this subject and found many other confused Yamaha receiver owners :) It's perhaps THE most confusing aspect of home theater. Setting speakers so small can be trumped by sending the bass output to both etc. I have many ideas to try tonight, both for music and home theater. I just have a feeling I've yet to reach 'nirvana' yet. Someday when my debt is lower (thanks to the paradigms and Sherbourn) I'll jump on a pre-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks