Music Hall CD-25 v. Rega Planet 2K v. Rega Jupiter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

How do these three CD players stack up against each other? I can get the Rega Planet 2000 for about $100-$150 more than the Music Hall. Is it a better player, though? And while the Jupiter seems prohibitively expensive it is still a very interesting player.. Anyone tried any/all of these out?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, I have not heard all three players. I've heard the Rega Planet 2000 and did not like it. It is too warm for me. While I haven't heard the Music Hall CD25, I think you could do better in and around the price of the Planet 2000. I still like the Sony SCD-C555ES as a CD player, let alone with SACDs. Also look at Arcam offerings. I just read a favorable review of a new DiVA CD82T in the September issue of What Hi*Fi?. I assume it will be available in the US. What Hi*Fi? stated that it is a definite step up from the highly regarded DiVA CD72T. The Exposure 2010 CD has also gotten positive reviews.

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Keith, what is the 82T? Its not listed on the Arcam site??? I'm still hoping to get my Sony ES XA series sacd player, despite what a lot of the naysayers on AudioAsylum say about Sony being mid-fi...

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I don't know if the DiVA CD82T is available yet. As I said, What Hi*Fi? out of the UK has a review of it in the September 2002 issue. That's the only place I have seen it mentioned. As you can imagine, the CD82T fills the void between the CD72T and CD92T. What Hi*Fi? has a "Group Test" in the September issue in which the CD82T, Exposure 2010 CD, Rotel RCD-1070, and a player by Myryad were compared. The four players are comparably priced. The Arcam, Exposure, and Rotel players were all awarded five stars out of five, but the Arcam was rated the "Test Winner", for what it's worth.
    Are you looking at the Sony 'XA333ES or 'XA777ES? Either way, I don't think the CD82T would be an alternative player for you to consider. The CD92T and FMJ CD23T should be better candidates from Arcam's stable for comparison to the Sony SACD players. Just my opinion.
    As for Audio Asylum, there is definitely more of an anti-Sony bias on the Digital Drive board than on the Hi-Rez Highway. Of course, the Digital Drive board is dedicated to CD players, and there are a lot of choices from more specialized manufacturers than Sony for around the same money as the 'XA333ES and 'XA777ES. This, of course, does not mean that the Sony players are inferior. It's a matter of taste. Anyway, you have a lot of people over on the Digital Drive board with a bias towards Arcam, Cary, and the like.
    By contrast, the Hi-Rez Highway board is dedicated to SACD, where the choices in hardware are considerably limited. Basically, people talk about Sony and Marantz players. Sony players are generally easier to locate and are cheaper than the Marantz offerings, so the Sony models get more talk. It is "acceptable" to speak highly of Sony SACD players in CD mode on the Hi-Rez Highway board. While there is an anti-Sony bias on the Digital Drive, many audiophiles on the Hi-Rez Highway have bought and are enjoying Sony players -- with CDs and SACDs alike. In the end, buy what you enjoy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. [​IMG]

5. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith, I'm glad there is a support base out there for Sony and SACD in general... I really hope this format succeeds, but it just amazes me how some people in Digital Drive can dismiss a player without hearing it.

Cheers,
    Mike