What's new

Music Genre: Rock or Heavy Metal ? (1 Viewer)

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
My CD collection is almost entirely comprised of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, I could not tell you (consistantly) which songs are Metal and which ones are Rock. And after reading these posts, I'm going to listen to '...And Justice for All' now!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
This is certainly a question for the ages. Hard rock I would say overall tends towards shorter songs. They're often grouped around one or two riffs. Metal songs tend to have changes in tempo and/or time signature, and often have multiple riffs. However, this is by no means a solid comparison. Sad but True is a solid metal song and has one riff and one tempo. Pink Floyd music has many tempos, many riffs, and is more hard rock then metal. Melodies are certainly not a given either, my favorite band, Iron Maiden, tends to be very melodic (due in no small part to the phenomenal talent of their frontman). Overall, it's just the feeling you get. Hard rock indices air guitar, metal induces head banging and screaming.

Steve Mehs

Auditioning
The lines between metal and rock have blurred so much. Yes, I consider Metallica a metal band even though songs like The Unforgiven, Unforgiven II and Fade Into Black are more on the softer side and Sad But True, Of Wolf and Man and And Justice For All are more harder.
Look at all the genres of rock, hard, soft, metal, punk, progressive, alternative, classic, acid, rap/rock, and much more. I look at the individual song more then genre. But I do like metal, hard rock, rap rock and punk. Although punk might evolve into pop one day, yes very sad. I'm a big fan of Metallica, System of a Down and many more.
Nothing like coming home after a hard day and popping in the black album on DVD-A. Overall if it has banging drums, screaming electric guitars and a decent beat, I'll listen to it, if it's not get it away! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks