Music From Big Pink DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mark Jolly, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly Auditioning

To anyone out there that can help, are there any opinions on this disc? I own it on CD & LP but would like to know what it is like before purchasing the DVD audio version.

2. Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly Auditioning

To anyone out there that can help, are there any opinions on this disc? I own it on CD & LP but would like to know what it is like before purchasing the DVD audio version.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i have it and it is a classic album, but i question the wisdom of putting the band on hirez. their sound was intentionally recorded to be simple, gritty, basic, elementary, crude, and with no frills. to me, it doesn't benefit so much from the hirez format, but that's just my opinion.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i have it and it is a classic album, but i question the wisdom of putting the band on hirez. their sound was intentionally recorded to be simple, gritty, basic, elementary, crude, and with no frills. to me, it doesn't benefit so much from the hirez format, but that's just my opinion.

5. Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly Auditioning

Thanx for the info Scott, much appreciated. I agree that the sound is very "down home" but my mobile fidelity vinyl of 12 years ago gave whatever information was on the tape new meaning. Anyway does the DVD have a surround mix?

6. Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly Auditioning

Thanx for the info Scott, much appreciated. I agree that the sound is very "down home" but my mobile fidelity vinyl of 12 years ago gave whatever information was on the tape new meaning. Anyway does the DVD have a surround mix?

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
  8. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
  9. Mark Jolly

Mark Jolly Auditioning

Thanks for the in depth info phil. I will buy it today. Being essentially a 2 channel music listener (separate system for Home Theatre) means I will need to reorganise my life to listen to it under good conditions. I was watching "the last waltz" a week or so ago and still love the band.

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Mark, I also have "The Last Waltz" on DVD-A as well. I picked it up when Tower ran a sale and mistakenly had it for $15.99 not taking into acct. it was a double album. It is good for a live album. I am essentially a 2-channel listener as well. I don't like about 85% of the multi-channel mixes I have heard on either SACD or DVD-A.