Music Clearance hell-when will it end? Married....,Quantum, now GAH!!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Corbin Stirn, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/siterevi...ReleaseID=4406

Been looking forward to this, did the pre-order, put the money down, then.....BAM. AGAIN. I remember watching this when it first came out...the songs are important. I would have gladly paid $10-15 more to have the intact music(Rocket Man,anyone?)[​IMG] It's selling for $20 at most retailers.....I have a pretty good idea that at $30, it still would sell. Heck...we're getting into danger territory now with releases of many 80s shows I lovingly remember and raptly watched(Fresh Prince,Miami Vice, Night Court,Greatest American Hero, Murphy Brown,etc). Which makes this music situation all the more depressing[​IMG]. I loved reading the review....until I read about the music issues. [​IMG] I know I'm not the only voice in the wilderness regarding this stuff, but it just is frustrating. If BB can sell Miami Vice for $32, then GAH for $10 more would have been $29, 30!! That's a pretty good price that people would pay. Enough on my rant..anyone have any ideas?

Oh yeah...1 more thing. What is with the "let's not tell ANYONE that the music is NOT there.[​IMG] That way, after they open it and find out it's not really what they thought it was, they can't return it" If music IS changed, let us know SOMEWHERE on the package. That way people that buy it know exactly what they're getting. Not the best way to have happy buyers of DVD sets.

2. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Background music being replaced by alternate music was a factor on some episodes of Wiseguy too. Series star Ken Wahl pointed that out years later in 2004 when he recorded the audio commentaries on some of those shows. Wahl didn't even know why the music had been replaced!

That was the case with just a few episodes, such as "Reunion" guest-starring Cathy Moriarty and "Romp". The music soundtrack on Romp that I heard was horrible, but not watching Wiseguy when it was on CBS in the 1980s I don't have a basis for comparison.

But it was a much more signifigant problem on the music industry arc episodes with singer / actress Deborah Harry. All of those were skipped over, presumably so Steven J. Cannell and Studio Works can acquire the rights before eventually releasing them.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Every Cannell release has replaced music, and I'd assume that every Cannell release going forward will have replaced music.

At least the quality of the picture is good on this set; the others had replaced music AND bad video.

Gord

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

And hence every Cannell release is a no-buy for me, no matter how much I love the show, such as Wiseguy. [​IMG]

5. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I must admit that I am a junky for TV on DVD. I forgo many movies just so I can save up for certain sets that I want to own.

I have been fascinated by this "music rights" issue that seems to grow as more and more "catalog" shows from the past make their way to DVD.

Why is it that some of these shows were able to have the original music intact when they appeared on VHS? For example, I owned a copy of the pilot of "Miami Vice" on VHS back in the mid-80s that MCA/Universal Home Video released. All of the original music was on it.

Is it that they didn't secure the right for future video product, or is it that the rights have "expired" over time? Or is it a combination of both?

My wife got me "Knight Rider" Season 1 for Valentine's Day. I had wanted the set for awhile, but hadn't had the chance to get it. I eagerly await season 2 (my wife is feeding my TV on DVD addiction.......)

There were some "songs" played during the pilot episode and all of this discussion on "music rights" made me wonder if it was the original music from the show (one of the songs played was Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinkin' About Tomorrow")

Part of me is very torn. Certain shows (like the "Miami Vice" pilot -- and other eps in that shows run) wouldn't be the same without the music.

For other shows though (like "Knight Rider"), I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the final season of "Magnum P.I." They used a lot of pop music in that season (a la Miami Vice). I remember one episode in particular that used Genesis' "The Last Domino" very, very effectively in a montage scene.

I'm really torn. For many of these shows, the only way that they can be viewed is if you purchase them on DVD. I mean, many cable networks show more "original programming" than they used to. The number of "older shows" being reaired seems to be dwindling.

6. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

While quite a few TV releases are replacing the original music (which stinks), I must say I was pleased to hear all the original Motown songs at the beginning of each episode of Murphy Brown (at least on the S1 DVD)!

7. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

When I picked up The Real World S1: New York, I was really surprised to hear all of that replaced, non-descript generic music in it as opposed to all of the original rock songs that perfectly underscored each episode. (Not to mention the footage that was edited from each episode.) It left me with such a sour taste in my mouth, I haven't gone back and watched it again, and as good as S2:LA and S3: San Francisco were, if the original music isn't on there either, I'm not buying them.

8. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Here they mention that it cost $1 million for music clearences for the S1 set of Happy Days.