What's new

Music celebs in the upcoming Cole Porter biopic (1 Viewer)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Billboard has an item about some of the musicians who are going to contribute to the soundtrack of the musical flick (in production now, and starring Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd).

What's news to me is that these music celebs (Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, etc) will be IN the film also.

Stars flock to big-screen Cole Porter musical

I'm a little wary of Alanis Morissette dancing and singing "Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love" but Diana Krall on the big screen- that's promising. According to Billboard, Krall also has a role in the upcoming Woody Allen flick.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
This sounds like it's going to be alot of fun. Cole Porter's music has definitely stood the test of time.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Cole Porter's music has definitely stood the test of time.
I certainly hope it can stand the singing of some of those listed. Except for Diana Krall, none of the singers mentioned have what I'd call an understanding of how to sing this kind of music. Witty lyrics, beautiful melodies are pretty alien to that group. Could this be another "At Long Last Love"?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yep. I mean, Elvis Costello? Talk about a hack with no talent for writing lyrics ;)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I thought Linda Ronstadt did a fine job singing some music similar to this with The Nelson Riddle Orchestra backing her up.It would be great if she was going to be in on this.It's really too bad that song writers abandoned the art of writing songs about true love and romance because I feel nowadays that's exactly what people deep down are searching for so desperately.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I would think that Costello would deliver a great track for this, although it's hard for me to imagine him and most of the others *in* the movie. For the record, Costello covered Porter's "Love for Sale" awhile back and did a fine job of it.

Could this be another "At Long Last Love"?
Peter, could *anything* ever be another "At Long Last Love"? :D

PatrickL

Deceased Member
No worries, Peter, so was I. I don't expect to see a Cole Porter musical that inept ever again! :eek:

What little I've read about this screenplay (by Jay Cocks) suggests that it's going to be a musical drama rather than a light comedy, and that Porter's, um, unusual relationship with his wife is front and center. This one has me very curious I have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks