Music Box: Confusion about the OAR, please help

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Silver, May 21, 2003.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I went to buy this yesterday, but when I looked a the package the back label said, "Presented in 1:33 Fullscreen, the way it was orignally intended to be show". Then is shows next to it a 16x0 graphic. IMDB shows that this movie was filmed 2:35:1.

Can someone tell me, 1) Is the DVD widescreen or fullscreen ?
    2) Is it anamorphic ?

Thanks,

Mark

2. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

I asked about this a few weeks ago, hoping in vain that this would be OAR. Sorry to tell you, it's apparently cropped down to "fullscreen" according to this review:

Gamenikki review of Music Box

I remember the movie as quite a bit better than the review would have it believed, but no matter. I *won't* be buying this now.

Thanks for nothing, Artisan...yet again.

3. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

It's bad enough that it is full screen only, but to state that it is "presented as intended" bothers me even more.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Artisan has been doing this double-speak on its packaging for about a year now--saying a film is being presented in the full-screen format in which it was shot but also that it has been formatted to fit a regular TV screen.

When I've criticized the studio for this, others in this forum have insisted that this language is used by Artisan when the DVD contains an open-matte presentation. That is absolutely untrue, as demonstrated by its use on this 2.35:1 title, which is presented in pan and scan on the new DVD.

Artisan wants to have it both ways--even when the presentations are clearly not open matte--and is just trying to confuse uneducated consumers into thinking that this is how films should be presented on DVD.

5. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

I don't know how they can make a claim like that.

I haven't seen this particular box, but in the past I've noticed that their spec graphics and the accompanying text can be confusing at a glance. Once I saw "16x9 widescreen" and "original version" on one of their back covers, but on closer inspection they were indicating that you'd get a 1.33:1 shape on a 16x9 screen, and that the film was formatted *from* its original version.

How did they wind up with this title anyhow, and what others are they going to MAR and foist on bargain bins?

6. Jae E

Jae E Agent

What a surprise!...another film I was looking forward to ruined by Artisan.[​IMG]

7. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Wow... after reading the reviews i'm truly disappointed!! Not so much that it's bare bones, but the fact that it isn't OAR and it states that the presentation is poor! I love this very underrated film and looked forward to it coming to disc!!

Now I'll have to set it aside like another film I love (Mr Holland's Opus)due to transfer problems. Unfortunately I don't know that we'll ever see them redone properly?

Well, hey!! Anchor Bay re-did BAD BOYS (Sean Penn) and though I haven't seen it, it's gotta be better than Artisan's release??

David