What's new

Music biopics (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So, we are in the middle of a series of music biopics, which come up frequently. Ray was a huge success; the Doors even before that. Music biopics are always popular.

Here is something I was thinking about recently last night with someone else. With high profile artists of course getting flicks, I have often found that high profile artists don't make as entertaining a subject matter. Even fictitious musical biopics - from Spinal Tap to Almost Famous were wildly entertaining.

So, I was kicking around music biopics I'd love to see that I think would be interesting not just because of the music, but because of the drama. Sure, big-name talent like Fleetwood Mac would be in the mix.

But just like the Wonders, I think there could be some fun biopics of artists in 'barely' known categories that could be compelling biopics. I mean, Sid & Nancy was compelling for a not-so-well known artist.

Who would be your biopic option for an artist you think would be interesting who isn't as well known?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd love to see a film about the career of Martha Wash, the "Queen of Clubland". One of the biggest, best, and most underrated voices in music over the past 40 years, IMO.

Started as a backup singer for disco-sensation, Sylvester, in the 70's along with Izora Armstead, then Martha and Izora received a recording contract of their own, first as Two Tons O'Fun, then changing their name to The Weather Girls with a number of club hits into the 80's ("It's Raining Men," "Land of the Believer," "No One Can Love You More Than Me").

Martha then continued to sing backup on a number of records through the 80's, including for Bob Seger and Stacey Q. Then she became embroiled in several lipsync controversies in the early 1990's, where she provided lead vocals on huge hit songs by Black Box ("Strike It Up", "Everybody Everybody", "I Don't Know Anybody Else," and others on the "Dreamland" album), C+C Music Factory ("Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now!)), and Seduction ("My One and Only True Love"), only to see her vocals go uncredited on the records and being replaced in the videos due to her plus-size appearance with her vocals lipsynched by svelte, glamorous models.

She sued the record labels which led to legislation requiring proper credits for vocal performers on all recordings. She was granted a solo recording contract and continued to produce dance club hits into the present day, being a featured vocalist on a number of huge hits for Todd Terry ("Keep On Jumpin'", "Something Going On"), Tony Moran ("Keep Your Body Working", "Free People"), and others in addition to her solo hits ("Carry On", "Give It To You," "I'm Not Coming Down"). She has performed lead vocals on 12 #1 hits on Billboard's Dance Chart in addition to other charted songs, and today has her own label, Purple Rose Records.

Not sure if anyone else would be interested in the film, but I'd like to see it. There seems to be plenty of drama and hit music for a good biopic, IMO.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Phil Ochs might be interesting, but also very depressing.

Joni Mitchell, c.1966-1976?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Hollywood used to do tons of musical biopics back in the day. The problem was they were always wildly fictionalized. I'd love to see historically accurate dramas of some of America's great songwriters, e.g. George Gershwin. However, the first film I thought of when I read the original post was THE GREAT CARUSO (1951), starring Mario Lanza as Enrico Caruso. I'm not sure about its accuracy, but the great thing about it is the inclusion of so much great music. We get to see lengthy excerpts from tons of operas, all given the Grade-A MGM high-gloss treatment. I don't know why this film wasn't shown in music class when I was growing up. It might have encouraged more of us to listen to operas. I first saw it a couple of years ago on TCM.

32824184656_140eccd20b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks