music and theater speakers for RX-V1300 on budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisTes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ChrisTes

ChrisTes Agent

Ok, I just got my Yamaha RX-V1300 off of ebay. Now, I don't have any speakers. I plan to get listen to SACDs and DVD-A with my Pioneer DV-56ea universal player. Also, I would like them to work well for movies. I already threw down some money for the reciever though, so my budget is limited. I don't want to buy junk though. I was thinking of picking up a crummy 5.1 system and slowly buying up ~150 and then a little later getting the Polk PSW 10 sub. I'm just mentioning these because Polk seems to be good quality and these are in my price range. The budget is

2. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

From experience I would say that you would be better off spending $400 on a pair of speakers and forego a 5.1 setup for awhile. I've found that a nice 2.0 or 2.1 system is much more satisfying than a mediocre 5.1 system. AV123 is having a great special on their ELT powered towers...you get a 2 way bookshelf speaker w/ a stand that includes an 8in woofer and an amp for $399 for the pair.

3. ChrisTes

ChrisTes Agent

I just realized that I've been working a lot more than I thought. How about Infinity Primus? 140/160 or C25? I still like the polks too what about a RM6750 5.1 kit? or klipsh quintet IIs?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Athena from Audio Advisor. 4xASB1 = $198 shipped. Get the center next month.

Sub = $138 partsexpress 12", should be

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Plus stands, but bar stools are cheap, or make some.