What's new

Music Analysis Software? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In an effort to better understand the differences and similarities between CD audio and the various MP3 (lets use MP3 as a generic catch-all including AAC & Win.Media) compressions, I would like to toy-around with some of the software that can show things like clipping, the limits of range, etc etc....

I've only seen the line graphs of such a piece of software a few times, most recently involving a comparison of an Alison Krauss album in the different CD, SACD, and DVD-A formats. Sorry, but thats bout all I can say about a specific piece of software.

So then:

*Is there any such software available for free that will run on a Macintosh computer? (I'm only concerned with comparing CD & MP3 now... no need to be SACD/DVD-A compliant).

Thanks in advance.:)

Tough order-free and Mac?

Not really aware of a single thing not being a Mac user. There are free trials of audio editing programs that may suffice albeit for a limited time. Sound Studio, Audacity, and Bias Peak are all linked to from the Gold Wave page as being similar products produced for a Mac.

good luck,
jc

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OSX naturally

Maybe free was too restrictive. How about cheap? (under $50)

Further searching informs me that I am looking for a piece of Spectroscope software that shows Spectrographs. I'd like something that allows screen-shots for easier comparisons. And a gradiated window so I know what Im looking at.

I tried SpecrtoGraph 1.1 for iTunes, a freeware plug-in, but there are no options for screen capture, the window isn't graded, and it cuts off the top & bottom of the graph anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks