Music + 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Davidson, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I have this nagging problem. I have a 5.1 setup, but whenever I play music I just get sound out of the front 3 channels and nothing out of the .1 output. I understand that is because the source is stereo, but I was wondering if there is any way to route the bass to the sub as well since my main speakers don't produce very good bass.

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Use your receiver's Bass redirection feature and set your speakers to small and the lower bass will be redirected to your sub. If you have small speakers as you say this will garner a FAR better bass production as well!

3. Josh Davidson

Do you know if all receivers have this feature? My receiver isn't all that nice. It was part of a JVC HTiB. I've tried looking for that option in the setup menus and the manual with no success.

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Make sure you don't have "Stereo Direct" mode turned on. This bypasses all the DSP's and bass management.

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

What receiver are you using?

6. Josh Davidson

7. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

If it decodes Dolby Digital I believe it should contain Bass redirection... at least I have yet to hear of one that doesn not! Look for options like setting your speakers to small or large as that is what Bass redirection entails.