Museum of Television & Radio Panels

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jaime_Weinman, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I notice that some shows are starting to use, as extras, the tapes of panels and the Museum of Television and Radio's annual Television Festival, where a few shows are selected to have a panel discussion with members of the cast and crew. (It used to be a mix of old and new shows; now, alas, it's mostly just new shows.) Freaks and Geeks has the MTR panel as a DVD extra, and the first season of Arrested Development will too. I thought I'd name some other shows, either coming out on DVD or DVD-worthy, that have had this kind of panel at the MTR. I think in many cases the panel discussion would make an excellent DVD extra, though of course I don't know what the MTR's policy is on releasing them:

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (edit: oops! that's what I get for not buying the sixth season... now let's see if my dislike of Fonzie Spike outweigh my desire to see that panel. [​IMG])
    - NewsRadio (1999: creator Paul Simms, writer Josh Lieb, director Tom Cherones, and the cast -- except Phil Hartman, alas, for obvious reasons)
    - King of the Hill (1998: creator Mike Judge, the rest of the voice cast, co-creator Greg Daniels, and members of the writing staff)
    - WKRP in Cincinnati (1994: the entire cast and the entire writing staff except creator Hugh Wilson, who couldn't be there because his plane was caught in a snowstorm)
    - Barney Miller (1994)
    - Frasier
    - That '70s Show
    - Angel

Most of the others are listed here. How good these panels are, I suppose, varies depending on who came and what kind of questions were asked, but the one I've seen (WKRP) was quite interesting and informative (even without the creator there), and it seems to me that more companies should be thinking about acquiring these panel discussions as extras, particularly if they don't want to spring for a lot of new extras.

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Buffy's was already on the season 6 set.

3. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

I was hoping that The O.C.'s panel (which I read about but could not attend) would be on the upcoming season 1 DVDs. But alas, no. I kinda resent FOX for doing it for Arrested Development, but not for The O.C.

I'd love it if more shows would include these as DVD extras!

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Chris, WB does "The OC," it just airs on Fox.

Gord

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

And Warner seems to be stingy with extras. They'll do a couple, but they don't want us to have to much fun. Ah, well. Still better than Paramount and Columbia.

6. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Add "Dark Shadows" to the list: MPI put out a special Dark Shadows Reunion DVD which has the entire MTR panel with some great extras. This is a must for any DS fan!

7. LeonaB

LeonaB Stunt Coordinator

Why is the Buffy MTR seminar on a Season 6 set? I hate when they do things like that. The seminar took place during Season 2. At the very least, they could have put it on Season 3.

Argh!

8. Travis_S

Travis_S Supporting Actor

Travis
    The Buffy MTR seminar on the DVD took place between season 6 and 7.

9. LeonaB

LeonaB Stunt Coordinator

Oh, so the seminar they used on S6 was a later one. I attended the Buffy Season 2 seminar and I thought that's the only one they used for the DVD set. Good to hear I'm not missing anything.

10. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Yesterday, TVShowsonDVD.com posted rumored specs for HBO's Carnivale season 1 release. Among the extras they listed was the MT&R panel dealing with the show.

11. Gord Lacey

HBO also put one of the panels on an Oz set....season 2 I believe.

Gord

12. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

I used to work at MT&R and I was there for the Freaks and Geeks one. I had no idea these were on the dvds.

The best one I saw was a panel with the Daily Show. Jon Stewart had started about six months prior and was on fire that night! Doubt we'll ever see Daily Show dvds.

btw, that job was not nearly as much fun as you'd think. [​IMG]

13. ChrisRose

Kinda off-topic here...sorry...just have to respond to this and I'll shaddup. [​IMG]

Gord, aaahh that explains it. Maybe it also explains why The O.C. won't be widescreen on DVD... I wondered about that because a bunch of upcoming FOX releases will be widescreen (Tru Calling, Wonderfalls, etc), so why not The O.C.? But if it was the WB's decision, I guess that's consistent with their decision to release Everwood and Gilmore Girls full-frame as well. It's too bad.

14. Gord Lacey

Chris, it's actually the wish of the produciton company to release it in full frame. I called the offices myself to verify the information.

Gord

15. ChrisRose

And the production company is...Warner Bros? That's what you meant when you said The WB does The O.C., right? Sorry for the confusion... I *think* I understand you, but maybe I don't. :b

16. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

The OC has several companies listed at the end of the show, not sure who is the main "production company" on them. They are Warner Bros. Television, College Hill Pictures Inc., Hypnotic and Wonderland Sound and Vision. Anyone know who has final say on the show?