What's new

Muscle injuries from lifting weights! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from a chest/triceps day at the gym, and even during my chest exercises, I must have strained my triceps because the moment I picked up those dumbbells and lay down, I could feel an intense pinch in my left elbox/tricep. Has anyone else experienced this? How long should I wait before I start up again?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I couldn't tell you about that, all I can do is relate a story:
For about a year, I had been running about 2.5 - 3 miles every day, stretching before and after each run. At the beginning of this past summer, I pulled a muscle in my lower left leg. (I don't remember what it's called, but it runs along the outside of the tibia, almost around on my shin.) Doc told me to lay off for about 2 or 3 weeks before running again, but to keep exercising the muscles in my legs to keep them from cramping when I did start running again. I didn't run for a month. The 2nd time I ran after that, I re-aggravated it after about a quarter-mile.
This has been an ongoing thing all summer and fall. I've ranged my non-running periods from 2 weeks up to 6 weeks, but keep re-aggravating the injury, usually during the first quarter to half-mile into a run. I'm afraid this is going to turn out to be an ongoing injury that is going to require many months instead of weeks to fully recover.
Hopefully, you've only strained a muscle and will be sore, but ok, after a day or two.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
I'd probably just wait like a couple days, and then try benching JUST the bar. If it seems like it's a little better, give it a couple of more days and try again. Progressively watch it, maybe after 4-5 days try benching with a very low weight, etc. I know you probably wait longer than that normally in between chest/tri workouts, this is just to get a handle on whether your body is successfully reparing the injury. If the triceps has become "detached", you will probably need to see a doctor.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
If the triceps has become "detached", you will probably need to see a doctor.
Oh Jesus! I hope it isn't that! How would I know - I imagine I would be in more pain, and it probably would get any better until I say a doctor! It's been a couple of days its definately feeling better, though I haveb't tried any bench presses yet!

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
You're probably fine, a little strain or something, you would have difficulty straightening your arm if it was serious. Probably wouldn't be able to at all. Just take it real easy next bench workout and respond to what it tells you.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Just relax, wait a couple of days if after a couple of days you find it difficult to lift, then maybe a check would be a good idea. Remember after a couple of days off your elbow may be a little stiff, so don't confuse stiffness with pain.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks