What's new

Murphy Brown (2018) (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I used to really enjoy watching this show during it's initial run, watched every episode. I really wasn't into politics back then so if they were as heavy handed with it as this newest version I guess it didn't bother me at the time,

We watched this newest incarnation and taking politics away from it I didn't find it had near the spark of the original run. It just felt so stale and tired. It didn't help that the cast is so much older and less appealing.

But at the end of the day, the over the top political BS the show was spewing out non-stop just really turned me off. We won't be keeping up with this newest 2018 version.

Such a shame watching a formerly great show like this stoop so low in hopes of getting ratings.

And the "guest star" made me want to hurl.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Two things really dinged it for me this time around.
First, even as it re-entered a world two decades passed, the characters still had the same enthusiasms, resentments, and references. This may smooth out over time, but it's a slog to see the people still stewing over Nixon and swooning over Aretha.
Second, late-night outrage television has changed the character of the 'laugh track.' Whenever the audiences hoots and hollers over a slam on Trump, or an entrance by Hillary, it makes it seem like another faceless episode in the vein of SamBee/HasanManaj/DailyShow/JimJefferies/SarahSilverman, etc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought the first half was almost fatally slow, but starting with the interview with the new EPA head, I was laughing out loud, so it won me over by the end. It's going to be heavily political, so I made my mind up about that before I tuned in.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just got done watching for no other reason aside from nostalgia. It was hard for me to get through...but I had the same reaction to the first new episode of Will & Grace. That smoothed out very quickly and I'm hoping Murphy Brown does the same. They got all their punches in during the first episode. Now they can get on to actually telling a story.

I mentioned to a friend right afterward the show is trying way, way too hard. Hopefully it gets better considered the hoops I will be going through to watch.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The context and beats weren't bad, but there wasn't enough actual storytelling. I think someone referenced late night TV, and this hits some of what is driving those audiences, but it didn't click well enough just yet.

Still, as a base of where this show could go, this could really work or not..

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Used to really like the old show. This just didn't work for me. Seemed slow and laboured. I might give it another chance but I have big doubts.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We watched this newest incarnation and taking politics away from it I didn't find it had near the spark of the original run. It just felt so stale and tired.
It's an interesting thing with these revivals; as time goes on, the medium of television moves forward, but too many of them want to pick up right where they left off.

The pacing, the editing, the music, the laugh track -- all felt like a late eighties, early nineties sitcom. Even though the content was current-ish (roughly 2016), it felt like watching a much older show.

If they had done this single camera, maybe even framed it as a mockumentary about Murphy Brown's return to television, it might have felt fresher and less like a retread. Diane English still knows how to write the character, and Candice Bergen is one of the greats, but the show around her just felt calcified.

But at the end of the day, the over the top political BS the show was spewing out non-stop just really turned me off. We won't be keeping up with this newest 2018 version.
That's always been Murphy Brown (the character). FYI was less partisan and political because television news was less partisan and political. But Murphy Brown being disgusted with this administration felt completely on point with who the character's always been. And I appreciated the scene at the end, where she's reproaching herself for going so trashy. And then her son's show, which actually did what she claimed to want to do, got pummeled by her sensationalism and bomb throwing.

The one bit that didn't work for me was the president tweeting in real time about her show. It makes me uncomfortable when fictional programming puts words into the mouth of real people. The reason the Quayle plot worked is because he'd actually said those things. You could tell the show would love to have the president as a foil, but inventing things for him to say didn't have the same impact.

And the "guest star" made me want to hurl.
Why? The whole revolving secretaries thing feels a bit dated in 2018, when hardly anybody has secretaries, but as far as "gets" go, that was a pretty huge one. And it was a fun gag about the election outcome.

First, even as it re-entered a world two decades passed, the characters still had the same enthusiasms, resentments, and references. This may smooth out over time, but it's a slog to see the people still stewing over Nixon and swooning over Aretha.
I didn't have a problem with either of those specifically, but I agree with your larger point. They felt like someone had hit pause in 1998 and unpaused in 2016. I also don't really watch any traditional sitcoms anymore, so it was a real adjustment to see characters acting that broadly again.

Second, late-night outrage television has changed the character of the 'laugh track.' Whenever the audiences hoots and hollers over a slam on Trump, or an entrance by Hillary, it makes it seem like another faceless episode in the vein of SamBee/HasanManaj/DailyShow/JimJefferies/SarahSilverman, etc.
Those shows at least are feeding off a live audience, and the turn around time is much faster so they're reacting to current events. The laugh track-juiced audience reaction doesn't have the same immediacy; it doesn't feel connected to what's going on in the frame. And the topical stuff doesn't feel current because, they turnaround time for scripted programming is a lot longer. This pilot was probably filmed months ago.

Taken together, it makes the show feel dated even when it's brand new.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
They felt like someone had hit pause in 1998 and unpaused in 2016.

I guess in a manner I'm the opposite. I see the characters doing this in present day, and I recall them doing those things 20 years ago, and I try to rationalize 'have they spent every day of their lives since I last saw them trodding this same territory?'

Less a time capsule than a rut.

It's the same feeling I get when I see nostalgia act musicians. I think about them singing the same 5 songs every day, day in, day out, for decades. Particularly if they only have one or two hits.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Watched the "premier" Thursday night and wasn't impressed.
I used to like this show and had reserved optimism for the reboot..
However, the show seems a shadow of its former self and the Trump bashing, (whether you like him or not), is tiring and IMHO reflects the poor creative skills of the show's writers.
I won't be tuning in future episodes and feel a majority of viewers won't be either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doubt this show will last more than a season. 7.4 million viewers for its return. No thanks.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Doubt this show will last more than a season. 7.4 million viewers for its return. No thanks.

Yes and no, at least from where I sit. That's not blockbuster viewer numbers, but this is an established property and at least one "name" in the cast. Yes, it needs to pick up, and if they can be less stiff and obvious in future weeks, there's a shot. I could also see a scenario where any subsequent season goes to CBS All Access, allowing them to really go on story line tangents without worrying about the casual viewer.

But man, I'm tired of the revivals. One is a novelty, two is a okay...three or more is creatively bankrupt. I get why they happen. I just wish they didn't.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it was a mistake to put this on at 9:30. By then, many of the oldsters in the target audience are either well into their procedural stories on Law & Order, or gone to bed.

Mom is also not a particularly well-matched lead-in, with it's themes of drinking/drugs/sex.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I lasted about 15 minutes, I will not watch it again. I’m sick and tired of everything from Hollywood leaning to the far left or right. Can’t we have something more objective and down the middle? Also, I can’t stand him either but, all the Trump bashing in everything is just getting old and boring. If I want to watch that I can tune into any news station, except Fox News, 24 hours a day. It’s just lazy storytelling at this point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't read a formal cancellation notice, just that a new show goes into its slot after Murphy Brown's 13 episode order is complete. There weren't going to be any additional episodes this season anyway. But the ratings certainly suggest that CBS won't pick it up for another 13-episode season next year. I've watched every episode, but it's a shadow of its former self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mat1
Recent bookmarks