Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough submitted a new blog post

Murdoch Mysteries: Season 11 Blu-ray Review
murdochmystery11top-1024x682.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Love this show! The stiff, by-the-book Murdock plays beautifully against the sensuous beauty of liberated Dr. Julia Ogden. Humorous Chief Brackenreid drinks his way through the entire working day. I want that job.
My only criticism of the show is that it takes on modern social issues during an era where these were probably not as far out in the open as the series portrays.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
There's an Murdock episode where William Shatner plays Mark Twain. I recorded that particular 2015 (S9E2) episode ("Marked Twain") only to find that it was mislabeled and was another episode altogether. Rats! Sure wanted to see Shatner in that role!

images

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
There's an Murdock episode where William Shatner plays Mark Twain. I recorded that particular 2015 (S9E2) episode ("Marked Twain") only to find that it was mislabeled and was another episode altogether. Rats! Sure wanted to see Shatner in that role!

images

He looks more like Teddy Roosevelt...apparently, Shatner declined to wear a wig so his hair was more a match to Twain's. As fond as I am of the Shat, I can't quite picture him as Twain, somehow.

Have yet to check out Murdoch Mysteries...must try and do so at some point. It sounds like my kind of series - though Russ's criticism about the show being a little too focused on current social issues does give me pause, as that trend is one of my personal "modern TV" bugbears.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
He looks more like Teddy Roosevelt...apparently, Shatner declined to wear a wig so his hair was more a match to Twain's. As fond as I am of the Shat, I can't quite picture him as Twain, somehow.

Have yet to check out Murdoch Mysteries...must try and do so at some point. It sounds like my kind of series - though Russ's criticism about the show being a little too focused on current social issues does give me pause, as that trend is one of my personal "modern TV" bugbears.
The series doesn't take itself too seriously so the take on current issues is usually done with much tongue in cheek. The best parallel I can make is this is Psych at the turn of the 20th century. After watching this series I now know that Canadians invented almost everything. Good for them.:D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Exactly. Nothing to fear about the connections between the timelines. It's all done tongue-in-cheek and in a delightfully droll manner. The concentration is on solving the mysteries and getting to know the delightful and very individualistic characters.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
No, no...you should check into this series. It's sometimes labeled as The Artful Detective--supposedly for his (Yannick Bisson) creative bent on solving mysteries--using "modern" techniques like fingerprints and occasionally inventing useful devices way before their time.
Plus, Helene Joy as Murdock's Medical Examiner wife, is certainly worth a look-see.

images
images

The photography and sets are all well done--reflecting Toronto at the turn of the century. The scripts are usually coherent and often have an undercurrent of humor. There are 12 seasons so far, so plenty to delve into.
Check it out!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Beware though, it actually acknowledges that it takes place in Toronto! This is unlike dozens of other shows like “Suits”. “The Handmaidens Tale” actually is filmed 10 minutes away from me here in Hamilton!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
No, no...you should check into this series. It's sometimes labeled as The Artful Detective--supposedly for his (Yannick Bisson) creative bent on solving mysteries--using "modern" techniques like fingerprints and occasionally inventing useful devices way before their time.
Plus, Helene Joy as Murdock's Medical Examiner wife, is certainly worth a look-see.

images
images

The photography and sets are all well done--reflecting Toronto at the turn of the century. The scripts are usually coherent and often have an undercurrent of humor. There are 12 seasons so far, so plenty to delve into.
Check it out!
I agree on all counts but I would strongly recommend that anyone interested try to start at the beginning. These do have a progression and although they can be enjoyed on their own they are best enjoyed as a series.

There was a short series back in 2004 called Detective Murdoch Mysteries before the current Bisson series that had a much darker tone. Interesting but not required watching for this series.

I still find it amazing that the series has not done better in the US as it is a world wide success. I think it is because it got picked up by Ovation cable - (they renamed it Artful Detective) and I think it got buried there.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I agree on all counts but I would strongly recommend that anyone interested try to start at the beginning. These do have a progression and although they can be enjoyed on their own they are best enjoyed as a series.

There was a short series back in 2004 called Detective Murdoch Mysteries before the current Bisson series that had a much darker tone. Interesting but not required watching for this series.

I still find it amazing that the series has not done better in the US as it is a world wide success. I think it is because it got picked up by Ovation cable - (they renamed it Artful Detective) and I think it got buried there.
If you haven't already, You Tube the "outtakes" from the series. Yannick Bisson is not exactly the straight-laced character he plays. Neither is Helene Joy or any of the principles.
There's one scene involving a gaseous horse--if that doesn't make you giggle, you're probably dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks