1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Murders in the Rue Morgue (1971)/The Dunwich Horror Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by matt-hough, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Message #1 of 5 Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
  2. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Oh man! That review totally missed the best thing about the film... the Les Baxter score! That is one of the best horror movie soundtracks ever!

Virgoan likes this.
  3. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Henry Slesar, who co-wrote the script of Murders in the Rue Morgue, was a prolific mystery writer who had many of his short stories turned into episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and other TV shows, such as The Twilight Zone, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Batman. He lived in my home town and was a patient of my father, who was a family doctor. During the last years of his life I had a number of e-mail exchanges with him. He remembered my father well and we had several e-mail conversations about his work and mysteries in general. In 1989 an anthology of his Alfred Hitchcock Presents stories was published as "Death on Television: The Best of Henry Slesar's Alfred Hitchcock Stories."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Slesar

Matt Hough and TravisR like this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Very interesting. Thanks, Rich.

5. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Tonight I watched Dunwich Horror, which has been a favorite for a long time. I totally saw a new side of this movie. I don't know if I've ever seen it in the proper aspect ratio, but most of all the color and sound were a revelation. It had scenes that were obviously influenced by the colored lighting in Bava's Black Sunday. On top of that, I figured out why the movie is so unique... they cast the most goofy actor who ever lived as the lead and put a fake mustache and mutton chops on him, then they hired a crew to shoot the movie who were more suited to an episode of Columbo or Ironsides. When they looked at the rushes, they must have panicked and hired an editor who was the kind of person who would cut a psychedelic hippie movie like Psych Out to finish it. This is three movies going on at the same time. The wild colors! The exaggerated acting with all the eye widening and crazy poses... then the second unit sex stuff piled on top! Holy cow! What a crazy movie. The soundtrack by Les Baxter totally nails every single one of those dichotomies. What a great movie. What a great blu-ray too. The colors were MUCH more vivid than I've ever seen before and the low frequencies in the soundtrack made my walls rumble. Great stuff. Can't wait to see the monkey movie. Never seen that one before.

Anyone who sees Rosemary's Baby in this film has never ever done drugs.