What's new

Pre-Order Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Only the review from Film Daily indicated the running time was 75 minutes. Variety, Hollywood Reporter, New York Times and Motion Picture Herald published the running time of 62 minutes. The censor board in New York City only requested that the female screaming be cut down, not cut out. (Per AFI)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
There was never any 80-minute version. Some sources cite 75, but even that is suspect and probably a preview cut length. All period reviews and continuities state 62 min.
For some reason, Wiki mentioned the longer version was 80 minutes.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So basically if an uncut version was to exist, it would be like Frankenstein ,minor but added to emphasize a moment

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The story goes that originally the film opened with the scene where the two pimps are fighting over the hooker on the waterfront and ran until Lugosi dumped Arlene Francis in the sewer then cut to the carnival. But it was too dark an opening and the sequences were switched.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this (for the first time!) this afternoon. While it was pretty enjoyable (great to see Leon Ames in an early role with different billing), I still much prefer Phantom of the Rue Morgue, not just because it offers the opportunity for 3D (if one is so situated and Warners ever releases the 3D on disc) but because it reverts to the more mystery story motif of the original Poe story.

Still, I'm glad to have this in my collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this (for the first time!) this afternoon. While it was pretty enjoyable (great to see Leon Ames in an early role with different billing), I still much prefer Phantom of the Rue Morgue, not just because it offers the opportunity for 3D (if one is so situated and Warners ever releases the 3D on disc) but because it reverts to the more mystery story motif of the original Poe story.

Still, I'm glad to have this in my collection.
I watched this for the first time on Wednesday. I didn't like it as much as I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks