What's new

MURDER, SHE WROTE: Season Three - March 14th, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
From DVDActive.com:

Title: Murder, She Wrote
Starring: Angela Lansbury
Released: 14th March 2006
SRP: $49.98

Further Details:
Universal has today released early details on the third season of Murder, She Wrote which stars Angela Lansbury. The three-disc set will be available to own in shops from the 14th March next year, and should set you back around $49.98 in total. Each of the episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with both English and French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono soundtracks. English and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. Again, as far as we know, no extra material will be included. Stay tuned for the official artwork.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I read the same news this morning over on tvshowsondvd.com

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4662

I was disappointed in the post there because it talks about the two part first episode and who stars in it but it doesn't mention Mark Shera (Barnaby Jones)in the long list of stars from that episode or that season. I know about 20 people who are going to buy it just for that reason but I guess that is just us.:b :b

Anyway I am looking forward to it and having it on dvd.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm glad season 3 is coming out so fast... maybe Universal is going to start releasing shows faster? MSW has such a long run that 9 months between seasons is just too long

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Peggy, I HAD to cut short my list of naming names. I was running late for my actual full-time paying job and I needed to wrap up the news item and post it. Sorry if I left off someone you really like...I left off a lot more besides him!

But hey, I'd LOVE to get Barnaby Jones on DVD myself...

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dave!:) I was saying that somewhat in jest since I know my fan group is very small and we have gotten use to him being overlooked but I still mention it.

I really do appreciate more than I can say the great job that you and Gord do with the posting of information. It is so nice to have a place that you can check daily and be totally updated.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Gord posted an update regarding the bonus episode on the Season 3 set over at TVShowsOnDVD.com:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4741

Originally, the bonus episode was to be an episode from MSW Season 4. Gord contacted Universal to suggest the inclusion of the "Magnum P.I" cross-over episode instead. Universal apparently agreed, and the change was made.

However, it's not quite that simple. As many fans already know, the two-part cross-over episode originally began on "Magnum" with the episode "Novel Connection", and concluded a few nights later on MSW with the episode "Magnum On Ice".

Universal produced both shows, and had alternate scenes filmed for both episodes. When the shows went into syndication, these particular episodes could then be broadcast as self-contained episodes without reference to one another. Of course, major plot points had to be changed to accommodate the reworking. The two episodes, now separated, stand as two individual episodes in syndication.

It is still unclear how Universal plans to present these episodes on the Season 3 set. Knowing Universal, I'd bet we get the syndication versions, since there's been no need to preserve the original network versions all these years. Worse yet, they may (unknowingly/incompetently) include the original network version for one, while using the syndication for the other. That would be a total disaster, but hey, it's Universal we're talking about.

In a perfect world, Universal would include the original network versions of both episodes and the separated/reworked syndication versions as bonus episodes.
They could promote the set as containing both the long-unseen, original two-part network versions and the revised, syndicated versions.

I realize Universal doesn't need, or want, our help in producing the best product they can, which of course would really please their customers and promote strong sales.

I do appreciate Gord taking the time to contact Universal regarding the matter. But I think a follow-up call may be in order. I can see it now: "Hey Universal, Gord here. Sorry to bother you again about that pesky MSW/Magnum thing. But you see, we've got this really rabid fanbase that is worried you'll screw up the Season 3 set, like you do most of your product. But I have faith you'll look into the matter more closely, and release a product I can highly recommend to our readers."

I only hope there's still time to take the suggestions outlined above into consideration.
In my opinion, there's really not that much to even consider. The correct action should already be obvious to any studio that truly knows and cares about their product...and their customers.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it's too late for any changes now. They JUST got the Magnum episode onto the DVD in the first place.

Gord

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
thanks for doing that Gord, I wanted the Magnum episode added as well.

While you're at it, pester Universal and tell them we want our Simon brothers out on DVD too :D

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I think we just need to thank Gord for going to the trouble in the first place to see that the Magnum episode was included.

Say what you might about Universal but they are certainly getting these sets of MSW out in a timely fashion and for that I am thankful.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I can't take all the credit; it was Dave's news item that mentioned the Magnum episode, so he did the research on it, I just made a call.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Matt, you were right....

The Magnum episode is wrapped up, while the MSW episode has the "previously on Magnum PI" intro. I tried!!

Gord

MattHR

Screenwriter

How I wish I was wrong about this. It's sad how utterly predictable Universal can be.

I guess they could always make right by including the properly presented cross-over episodes as a "bonus" on a future MSW or MPI set -- like they're doing with pilot for Rockford.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks