What's new

Pre-Order Murder on the Orient Express (2017) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91hqOC0VhLL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As a dyed-in-the-wool Agatha Christie fan, I will someday own this (heck, I own the Frank Stallone starring version of Ten Little Indians, one of the lamest adaptations of one of her works ever made), but I can't say I will buy this with enthusiasm. I still can't help wishing Branagh had unleashed his considerable clout on one of her other properties.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's not even out yet and they are already announcing the disk. Definitely different times.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sometimes I still have to wrap my head around the stunning fact that if I own a 4K copy of a movie shot in 35mm, I own, for all intents and purposes, a master of that movie, since theoretically, all the information on the negative is on my copy. Still blows my mind that I can have that in my home.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Preorders up before the theatrical release has even begun? Is that normal now? I know Amazon and the like have begun accepting orders for eventual discs before studio announcements of such during titles theatrical runs, but I don't recall seeing something go up this early before. Wow.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Sometimes I still have to wrap my head around the stunning fact that if I own a 4K copy of a movie shot in 35mm, I own, for all intents and purposes, a master of that movie, since theoretically, all the information on the negative is on my copy. Still blows my mind that I can have that in my home.

Yes, a very stunning fact.

It is also my opinion that 2K Blu-ray, for most films ever made, is capable of matching or exceeding any extant print of a given film. I often am fortunate to see the best available 35mm archive print of a title (UCLA or Library of Congress for example at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto), and then can go home and compare it to Blu-ray.

I am still not sold on 4K as being the ultimate. I don't think that 4K DCP prints can yet match 70mm or other large-negative formats across all performance factors with optimal projection. This is hard to judge because A-B tests are hard to come by. (Most of my A-B tests are with showings at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco, which has both 70mm and 4K DCP capabilities.)

At any rate, we are most fortunate to have these technologies. It has fulfilled a dream that I always knew would come true, and I got to see them happen and become commonplace. Wow!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Yup, me too. A good Blu-ray is like owning your own pristine print, & you don't need your own theatre & projectionist to see it (& you don't need a warehouse to keep all your movies in).

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When I saw Wonder Woman 2D in 2K at my local theater, I made freeze frame memories in my mind of certain shots, in terms of what the level of detail was, and I swear my Blu-Ray is sharper than what I saw projected in the theater. Of course it's easy just to say that, but I can say it having watched WONDER WOMAN in the theater with that future comparison in mind. So yeah, it's remarkable what we now have in our homes--and I think it's worth remarking about!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this in 70mm in London last night , the aspect ratio is 2.39 and the picture quality was terrible and I could see digital movement
from the digital to Film transfer and the focus was soft and this was filmed in 65mm !

When I saw The Great Race in 70mm on a Cinerama screen that looked better and this was from a 35mm blow up.

Also this was at the Odeon were I saw Dunkirk and the H8 and they looked fantastic.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw this in 70mm in London last night , the aspect ratio is 2.39 and the picture quality was terrible and I could see digital movement
from the digital to Film transfer and the focus was soft and this was filmed in 65mm !

When I saw The Great Race in 70mm on a Cinerama screen that looked better and this was from a 35mm blow up.

Also this was at the Odeon were I saw Dunkirk and the H8 and they looked fantastic.

Can you please define “digital movement?”

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Hi Mr Harris,

It looked like Frame Rate loss Juddering of movement , it was really bad when one person was running for the train.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's not even out yet and they are already announcing the disk. Definitely different times.

But it's not the studio that announced it - this is Amazon going "pre-emptive strike" on us.

Sometimes Amazon has titles up for pre-order on their site months before actual studio announcements!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Mr Harris,

It looked like Frame Rate loss Juddering of movement , it was really bad when one person was running for the train.

Sounds like they’re having a server problem

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Murder on the Orient Express comes from a 4K DI. It has a lot of CGI work for the backgrounds.

If that’s the case, a 70mm print derived from data, will not look,as good as 4k data.

Best way to view is a 4k DCP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks