What's new

Murder in Small Town X (1 Viewer)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I only caught the last 30 minutes of this last night, but I really liked what I saw, and it's got a Season Pass on the TiVo, now.
It appears to be a large-scale version of those "Murder Parties", and seems a lot more cerebral than most of the current Reality TV fare.
Anyone else see it?
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I watched it. For the most part I liked it but I already hate a few of the contestants (but not enough to remember their names). I think it will take a couple weeks to figure out who dunnit since there is not enough info. (Or maybe too much info/charachters).
I thought the murders were pretty grizzly for prime time network TV (not that that's a bad thing).
My beef with the contestants is that there is already back stabbing from day one. As much as winning the $250,000 appeals to me, it would be solving the mystery that would make me want to participate (or at least watch the show).
Notice that the lone person of color has already been "voted off". One of these days they are going to have to do an all black cast for one of these "reality" shows. I can't wait for Bill Maher to way in.
If I was one of two the people sent to find the clue/get offed, I don't care if it is a game, if someone tapped me on the shoulder in the dark, they're going to get hurt.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo
[Edited last by LarryDavenport on July 25, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I saw everything but the first few minutes. I think I'm hooked!
Sometimes Survivor got a little boring waiting for the end to see who gets voted out. With this show we get to try and solve a murder for most of the show, then get to see someone get booted.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if this is being reshown before next week's?
thanks!
Doug
------------------

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I watch and like (somewhat) just about every reality show there is but so far Murder in Small Town X isn't doing much for me. Seemed a bit boring and I just couldn't get into the whole mystery. It seems to fake and corny, probably from the bad acting and situations. I don't think the concept is bad, maybe just the execution of it. Seems very second rate, like it should be on UPN. It's set to record on the Tivo though, so I'll give it another chance next week.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
I would like it more without the Survivor "vote someone off backstabbing mentality". It seems reality shows just can't get away from that. I found the mystery and how they pull it off far more interesting than what the contestants think about each other. If they didn't vote and picked the 2 people a different way, it would be better. Maybe if the contestants took tests and the 2 lowest scores had to go out, I'd like it better than them voting.
This was the first show that I actually thought, "Man that would be so cool to do, except the voting crap." But if that's what gets viewers........
------------------
covertad.gif

calslayton.com

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it would have been really cool if they didn't have the voting crap which turns everyone against each other. They should've dealt with it in one of three ways:
Firstly, when the contestants are alone, they're "at risk". Provide more opportunities for the investigators to split up and remove them that way.
The second way would preserve the voting, but instead of making it a show where everyone distrusts each other, it might make the show into more of a cooperative show. Make whoever comes back with the clue the "lifeguard". (Stupid name, by the way.) You come back with the clue, you can't be removed from the game until after the next black envelope briefing/mission.
The third way would require a slight restructure of the show. Instead of ten investigators, start with nine. Split them into groups of three. Whichever group eventually solves the murder mystery gets to split the prize. The killer character can still stalk individual investigators, the various investigative teams would have to share evidence (via the daily briefings by the investigative lead), and there wouldn't be much backstabbing amoungst the individual investigators.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think you have the right idea Thomas. People should be eliminated in a random way, no voting off. Or they should do something similiar to the Mole (not that I watched it). Have them all take a test. The two people with the lowest scores are the ones who have to go fetch the clues. The person with the highest score could get some sort of immunity or get a clue only they would know.
------------------

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
What I found amazing is the fact that the majority voted for Shirley (the black woman who was murdered by the Killer), when she was the one who answered the Killer's question correctly (Kristen? screwed up by saying the shower curtains but caught herself after Shirley piped up).
I was much more impressed with the show than I thought I would be. What will be really cool will be a DVD set of the show with some of the excised footage that is on the website, plus maybe extras on the actors, etc.
My guess on the killer: Spoiler: Frank Kovick, the hotshot city reporter who is now mysteriously slumming it in Sunrise. It makes sense that he would pull a Scream-style exposé killing spree. The Killer *obviously* wants to be caught and wants the victims dirty secrets to be aired. Obviously if Frank is the killer he would profit through fame on the killings... IMHO, no one else makes sense, given the highly media-obsessed Killer. But, eh, it's tv... doesn't have to make sense.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I liked last night's episode but I am growing tired of all the Survivor/Real World/Big Brother type melodramas. Can't producers find 12 people to work together as a team?
How about this next time, have a dozen people compete in some reality based show, and the more people left at the end of the game get more money. I guess if I want to watch team work I'll stick to watching Mariner games.
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I love the show, the only thing I can't stand is that when the first dudette recorded her last-words it goes something like "X and Y, if I don't come back, I just want you to know, Mommy loves you" WTF? She's not REALLY getting killed...
or is she?
Ha ha ha ha ha (evil laughter here)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I had this weird daydream the other day:
What if suicide were made legal? Wouldn't it then be legal to participate in a game show where you were truly putting your life on the line? Imagine Murder in Small Town X where a contestant is truly killed each week.
It would make Survivor more fun to watch too. When they run out of food, that's it! When a contestant is voted out of the tribe, they might be thrown into a live volcano.
Though the prize money would have to be a lot more than it is now.
I think we may be about 10 years from this being true.
------------------

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I really like this show except for the voting people off aspect. Maybe make it three to five contestants and if they can solve the mystery give them each money. In my opinion the show has to be about either - the mystery OR the interactions between the contestants, NOT both.
I am going to keep watching.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I wholeheartedly agree that this show would be better without the voting aspect... let the Killer pick them off if they disregard the safety precautions and separate. It weakens their investigation each time they lose a person (well, except for Andrew... I was cheering when he got it). If there is a second season for this show, maybe they will go back to the drawing board...
Did anyone else notice that tonight's (8/3) promo for Tuesday's (8/7) episode potentially spoils the ending. I can't say for sure... Spoiler: because of the editing, but Stacey for sure is one of those picked to play the Killer's game (it shows her with the infrared camera rig) and then an edit which cuts to an interview where Stacey talks about how scared she was... if this interview is from *after* she plays the game (and not from an investigation) that means that whoever else plays the game with Stacey gets murdered by the Killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks