"MURDER!" - Hitchcock - which one to get?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    OK you guys... which Region 1 or Region 0 version of Hitchcock's 1930 movie "MURDER!" should I get? So many out there and not sure of their quality and sharpness. I know that if I had a region free player I could get the "from the source negative" Region 2 copies but I don't....

2. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
  3. Neal K

Neal K Agent

NONE of the region 1 releases are worth anything. You have to go R2 with that recent French Studio Canal set. The image is fantastic throught the 3 sets in that collection (numberous silents and early sound films), although they've done some annoying tinkering with the sound on the sound films, adding various extra sound effects for no good reason. Not enough to take away from the excellence of these issues, but still...

Sorry, only saw afterwards you can't do R2. I'd still wait for those to be issued here rather than waste money on the R1 issues.

4. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

I think the Delta/Laserlight one is the best of the R1 versions right now.

5. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

My understanding is that (if we're sticking strictly to Region 1), that the Madacy version offers the worst picture, but is the only version that is not missing any original footage so, in that sense, it's the only "authentic" Region 1 release at this time.