Murder By Death DVD - Unfairly dissed and AWFUL cover art

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

OK, first off - I love this movie. It was one of the first "clever" spoofs I'd ever seen and even though I didn't "get" a lot of the move references at first, I thought the movie was damn funny.
    Imagine my disappointment when certain DVD sites dismissed this title as "Columbia digging the bottom of the barrel" (or something to that effect).
    NOW I see the wretched cover art. Check this out:
    [​IMG]
    OK, if that's not one of the tackiest covers ever, I'll eat my own toenails. If a DVD purchaser/renter came across this cheesy and dated-looking cover, I wouldn't blame them for dismissing the film entirely. And that's a damn shame.
    NOW check out the original poster art. (I wasn't able to right-click on it, so you'll have to check it out
    http://us.imdb.com/Posters?0074937
    Fairly weak, but still much better than the DVD cover art.
    I told you all that so I could tell you this: If you've never seen this comedy, check out the DVD when it hits the streets...and then report back to tell me what you thought. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on November 10, 2001 at 01:16 PM]

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I couldn't agree with you more. Murder By Death is one of my favorite comedies and if you're into mystery novels and/or movies, it's a double treat.
    That cover art is a true horror! The original Charles Addams logo was so much more classy.
    It seems Columbia has been messing around with original cover art and though sometimes successful (I like their From Here To Eternity DVD cover), their new cover for Funny Girl is an eyesore and their upcoming cover for the Neil Simon comedy, California Suite, is as bad as Murder By Death.
    As far as that "digging the bottom of the barrel" comment, the perpetrator of the remark soon removed it from his site after HTF posters chastised him.

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Likewise, check out the crap cover for The Cheap Detective, also a Simon comedy from CTS.
    [​IMG]
    Puke.
    ------------------
    Joel
    [email protected]
    "Look at me, I'm dancing crazy!"
    digitallyOBSESSED

4. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

I shall be creating a DVD cover based on the original artwork. I love Murder By Death, and am thrilled it is finally coming to DVD.

5. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Yes!! I love this movie, and I thought it would never come to DVD. "Murder By Death" must be the greatest mystery-comedy I've ever seen, surpassing the more well known (and similar) "Clue". I really hope the DVD is widescreen.
    "Conversation like television on honeymoon: Unnecessary."
    [Edited last by Barry S on November 10, 2001 at 04:03 PM]

6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Agreed.. fantastic comedy, terrible cover art for the DVD. However, I'm grateful that Columbia is releasing this title at all. I'm sure alternative covers will become available. [​IMG]
    Can't seem to find whether MBD will be anamorphically enhanced or not. I will buy it regardless, but I'll be a lot happier if it is anamorphic. [​IMG]
    Mark

7. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Not to worry, It's Columbia, of course it'll be anamorphic.....
    Ted
    [Edited last by TedD on November 18, 2001 at 10:07 AM]

8. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

I love this film and laugh out loud each and every time I've ever seen it. I'm excited about widescreen version and being able to add it to my DVD collection. I cannot believe that someone could attach the phrase "bottom of the barrel" to Murder By Death...if they did they probably have never even seen the film (maybe they made a judgement by the cover!).
    However, I agree it sports some of the most Godawful artwork I've ever laid my eyes on! Wretched and inexcuseable. Whoever is responsible has no right with a job even remotely connected with the word "art"! Methinks somebody got a job because of who they knew not what they knew.
    This kind of tacky shit is the result of nothing more than laziness on the studio's part.
    Jon
    ------------------
    Don't you wonder sometimes
    'Bout sound and vision

The Thin White Duke

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Wow, you're right, I can't believe how horrible that cover art is. I will also be someone creating my own art of this DVD. In fact, I still have the original VHS version of this, so I should have my own cover created before this baby is released.
    Does anyone have the exact technical details on this title?? Please post, thanks.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Scott Weinberg

quote: This kind of tacky shit is the result of nothing more than laziness on the studio's part.[/quote]
    I couldn't agree more. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't retain the original cover art.
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on November 18, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

11. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

From the look of MbD and Cheap Detective it looks like Columbia is trying to do a Peter Falk collection?? Agreed, the Addams work was better. It graces my LD cover, I guess I cant get rid of it now [​IMG]. Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner

12. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    anyone in del county pa find this movie in any stores to buy yet. i haven't at circuit city best buy etc...

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am interested to find out what happened

to the linked page with the cover art?

Did Columbia send someone a warning to remove

the material? As far as I am aware, we did not

remove that link.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't know what's going on with the link provided above, but I just did a search for "Murder By Death" and found this thread here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19410&highlight=Murder+By+Death
    I finally ran across this title in the music store I've mentioned from time-to-time (the one where I got Wonka Widescreen). I *almost* bought it, but the cover art literally stopped me. I decided to find this alternate art first. I mean...really! I was already buying about $50 worth of stuff there, I thought about popping for a bit more, and would have...but that art JUST STINKS.
    I didn't think so when I saw it on-line, but seeing it in the flesh really made me blow chunks. Col/TS...STOP IT!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Scott Weinberg