Muppet Lament

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jul 10, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

DVDFile has announced that Kermit's Swamp Years, a direct to video/DVD release from Columbia, will be provided in 1.78 anamorphically enhanced widescreen.
    If Columbia - by no means OAR saints - can provide 1.78 16x9 on a Direct to Video release which may well be perfectly acceptable in 1.33 (if framed as such), why can't Disney provide Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol in anamorphic widescreen?
    It irritates me that I'll have every Columbia and Time Life Muppet offering, including a direct to video release, but I'll have a gaping hole that Disney could have filled in had they only provided an OAR option. I'm terribly dissapointed.
    Of course I'm an adult with no children, so why should they expect me to have an interest in these films? [​IMG]. Seems Columbia does.

2. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I totally agree with you John... and I'm incredibly upset at Disney's shortsighted and arrogant view towards "family films". I'm a single person who wants those movies but CANT buy them because they've been butchered.
    Especially on my 16:9 TV [​IMG]
    Chris.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Disney basically dropped the Muppets after 2 movies. I think they still have theme park rights, but that may be all. The Muppets are back at Columbia, their first release was Muppets From Space, the most underrated entry so far, IMHO.
    All Columbia Muppet films have been OAR & P&S, generally on a flipper. The special features (video commentary, one of the funniest) on Muppets From Space were not available on the P&S side, to my knowledge.
    Frankly, Disney didn't deserve the Muppets.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm upset about this too. The Muppets are fun for kids of all ages (including adults with 16x9 TVs)
    I neglected to cancel my Treasure Island pre-order (but have canceled Christmas Carol) so I did watch the disc when it arrived and noticed that the clips from the movie in the documentary are 1.78:1 16x9 enhanced! in the middle of a 1.33:1 documentary! Not only do they ignore an entire segment of potential customers, they add insult to injury by teasing us with snippets of a widescreen transfer. Grrr. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How extremely sloppy! how hard ould it have been to make the clips match the documentary? how hard would it have been to letterbox the clips? [rant]HOW HARD WOULD IT HAVE BEEN TO INCLUDE A WIDESCREEN TRANSFER???.[/rant]
    They apparently have contempt for both the movie and their customers. "why put in any effort? we're the Di$ney Corporation! our marketers will fool the stupid shee... err "consumers" into thinking our product is good, that way we don't have to try and still get filthy rich!" double grrr. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some of these studios seem to have an attitude similar to the WorldComs and Enrons of the world, its all about easy money, not providing quality products.

6. John_Berger

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

There's no feasible way for widescreen clips from the movie to be 16 x 9 enhanced during a 1.33:1 featurette. They might have been letterboxed, but I don't imagine they were 16:9-enhanced.
    However, I very much agree with your sentiment. Disney provided a nice DVD for MTI in terms of extra content, and disc layout...but they really missed the boat on the most important thing - the feature itself.
    I'm so angry that MCC will be Pan & Scan only as well. [​IMG]

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

9. John_Berger

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol were both made while the Muppet's were at Disney. Disney retains rights to these films, but not to further uses of the characters.
    I have a fairly short list of Holiday films that I really enjoy. MCC is on this list and would be an instant sale for me, but only if done properly. I'd rather have a bare bones anamorhpic widescreen presentation than a feature laden MAR job.

11. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

We're getting off topic here, but I don't think that "16x9 enhanced" content on DVD are ever encoded as a 16x9 frame, just that the 16x9 frame is squished into a 4x4 frame. All the frames on a DVD (16x9 enhanced or not) are 4x3 frames, the 16x9 enhancement just horizonatly compresses the frame into the 4x3 shape.
    BAck on topic: Disney = grrrr!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. John_Berger

15. John_Berger

16. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

hmmm... well maybe I am mistaken. I'll check the disc again tonight (I have not yet found a Disney exec to "return" it to [​IMG] ) But I'm sure the clips were "tall & skinny" and looked only "right" only with the TV in "full" mode.
    In any case I don't see why they could not have included a widescreen transfer along with the "fullscreen" one, and I also would have prefered a bare-bones 16x9 enhanced widescreen version to a MAR one with extras.

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I was all prepared to buy Muppet Treasure Island and A Muppet Christmas Carol until I found out they were both 4x3 (very disappointing indeed) so now because of that dumb blunder, they will not receive my money.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm sure the P&S was sourced from the High-Def 16:9 transfer that was probably done for the DVD.

Disney states that they didn't want to do a double sided disc, and they wanted to do extras, so we got screwed

I have called my contacts in Disney, however, since Brian Henson stepped down as CEO, there is little he can probably do, but my contacts said they would try

On the downside, Disney is one of the frontrunners to buy the Muppets

19. John_Berger

20. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

You know what, I can't believe I made this mistake, but the 16 x 9 comment guy was probably right in part. In the review I did a long time ago, I did mention that it was the full 16x9 frame but stretched to fill the picture. During the featurette, the stretching was even more distracting than pan & scan. Not sure if they would be displayed properly on a 16x9 monitor, as I haven't watched the featurette on my DVD-ROM. But in any event, I completely forgot about the stretching. Not sure if that changes the technical aspects of what I posted, because I have never seen 16x9-enhanced material integrated within 1.33:1 feature.