Muppet Family Christmas DVD...WARNING

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Aug 25, 2001.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    DVDfile.com says that the length of this upcoming title is 42 minutes. The special originally aired in the mid-1980s and ran for 48 minutes. I have two network airings of the special that my family taped in 1988 and 1989 that corroborate this fact.
    ------------------
    Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It was edited to 42 mins. on the vhs edition as well.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was reading on the IMDB about the two different versions, where the home video version had been edited down.
    It sounds to me that some of what they cut out was for dumb reasons, like not offending religious sensibilities. Example: a joke between Fozzie and a Snowman where the punchline was "holy smoke".
    I'm not sure I'll pick this up if it's not the original uncut TV broadcast version. I guess I'm just anal that way!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

David. I agree, but this is a tough one. I mean we, the HTF, basically accepted the Disney alterations of Fantasia, but it does not mean we all liked it. I guess we just came to some understanding on the matter.
    I personally hate the alteration of any original work. These are all tough decisions to make I suppose. It is just difficult to turn something down when you are fairly certain this will be the only release of said title. I guess a dichotomy exists here. I don't know - I'm rambling now. Oh well.
    C. Ryan

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Does anyone have any other information on this disc? There are reviews up at Amazon.com that say this is a bastardized version but the previous posts seem to say that this is the "standard" home version. My wife loves this Muppets special and I'll probably buy it for her either way, but I'm just wondering if there's any way a different version will be released in the future. Thanks.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Sorry to resurrect an eons-old thread, but I've never seen a post that resolves this: