Munsters Movies heading to DVD!:)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David*P, Jun 30, 2006.

1. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    TVShowsonDVD.com just posted a news story about "Munster, Go Home" and "The Munsters' Revenge" heading to DVD on Sept. 26! It will be a single disc release and SRP is $19.98.

And I hate to be a nit-picker but the story says that "Munster, Go Home" was the first TV-movie created after the series ended...it was actually a feature film released in the theaters along with one of Don Knott's films (either "The Reluctant Astronaut" or "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"...I believe it was the latter).

Still, it'll be cool to have these on DVD...well at least "The Munsters' Revenge" which I do not believe has been released before. I have "Munster, Go Home" on DVD.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

David, I just corrected the news after someone emailed to mention it was a theatrical movie. If you notice an error like that feel free to email us about it so we can correct it.

Gord

3. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I will do that in the future. And thanks for correcting it AND for keeping us up-to-date on all the TV on DVD news!

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Both MUNSTER GO HOME and THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE were previously released on DVD by Goodtimes under license from Universal. I've still got both discs, and I probably won't upgrade unless there is a real difference in quality.

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Wow, you mean Universal has actually licensed out product? Didn't know that.

6. tomRapier

tomRapier Auditioning

anyone hear if there anything different with these then the previous copies already released.

7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Universal used to license stuff out before the NBC merger. That's how Davis/Panzer got Xena/Hercules, and they did the deal with Anchor Bay. There are some other Universal titles that were released by other companies as well. I think they brought everything in house since the NBC merger though.

Gord

8. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

The theatrical motion picture release MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966) will be made available in anamorphic widescreen (digitally enhanced for 16x9 tv screens) which makes for a substantial difference from the previous cropped, pan-and-scan DVD edition.

It is also likely (albeit not official) that the original theatrical trailer for MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966) will be included in this (nifty) package as well.

This (long overdue) announcement comes as a very pleasant surprise indeed!

Now if only UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT would make available a doublebill of MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) in a similar DVD package.

While specifically on the topic of UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT how about conducting an HOME THEATER FORUM online questions-and-answers session with this (major) distribution) company?! UNIVERSAL has one of the largest (and best) tv series film libraries in existence!

Jeff T.

9. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Oh no! The discs are going to be housed in collectible spider-web packaging! Hope it will be more user-friendly than season 2's Herman's head packaging.

From tvshowsondvd.com:

Munsters, The - Universal Describes Box, Provides
    Menus For The Munsters - Two-Movie Fright Fest
    Posted by David Lambert
    7/13/2006

A couple of weeks ago we had the announcement for
    Universal's September 26thDVD release of The
    Munsters - Two-Movie Fright Fest, containing both
    reunion films Munster, Go Home! and The Munsters'
    Revenge. We're still waiting on cover art, which
    the studio hasn't provided just yet. They have,
    however, stated that it will be "Collectible
    'Spider Web' Packaging". In the meantime, they've
    sent out the menu screens for this disc, and we've
    got them for you this morning:

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I hadn't yet seen any confirmation on the aspect ratio on the new release of MGH. It's not accurate to say the old disc was panned and scanned though, as the movie was not shot in a Scope process, and theatrical presentations would have been matted. The old disc might well have more picture information, but of course a 16X9 disc would presnt the film as seen in theatres.

Universal used to license a ton of product to Goodtimes going back to the VHS era, and into the first few years of DVD. Goodtimes also used to have a deal with Columbia.