What's new

Mummy3 will look better at home than in theaters (Via HDDN) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, it looks like he's saying he's actively working to make it better, not that the theatrical master will inherently be worse than the BD. This is a claim that some got worked up over before (the director for "Step Up 2", well, stepped in it a little bit ago).

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
My initial reaction to this piece is that, given its placement in a home media retailing magazine, it is merely intended to generate 'buzz', which will hopefully translate into more vendors purchasing this title come holiday season. I really doubt anything is occurring in the digital intermediate print that hasn't occurred in some other film before.

On the subject of the digital intermediate print however, it is interesting to note when the director says, “Stefan Sonnenfeld and Company 3 and I have worked for the last three months to get the print looking like what you saw. No matter how good the cinematography is, there is new potential to make the image more impactful beyond what you can do on location or on the set. So when you do Blu-ray you have an up-rezing quality so things that were sharp before become sharper.”

This has been mentioned before, but it really does throw a curve ball to those trying to compare scenes from the trailer of a movie to the disc itself such as was done with 'The Golden Compass' for example. After all, isn't it quite possible the scenes from the trailer were required before digital intermediate print 'tweaking' was done, and, consequently, the trailer doesn't represent the director's intent?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Being neither a director nor an editor, I am not so qualified as Cohen to comment, but it seems to me that he is referencing post-production for BD that (for whatever reason) was not included in the theatrical release. Raising the question, “Why not?”

Perhaps there was a rush to get the movie to the theaters and now there is leisure to do what should have been done in the first place, or perhaps there is recognition that some BD owners are into crystal-clear reproduction and want that kind of transfer regardless of how the movie was projected in theaters.

I actually I hope that it was commercial considerations, not pandering that caused the change.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This statement makes no sense to me. It completely ignores postproduction processing having nothing to do with being "on location or on the set". Isn't that done for ALL films? And how is a format designed for the SMALL screen at home an "uprez" from a format made to be shown on 50 ft. wide screens??

Eric F

Screenwriter
So is he going to make it a better movie at home too? (Sorry, had to throw that one in there).

Seems to me that they're just grasping at straws here. It's market-speak and they're doing anything they can to up the hype. They realize the theater crowd is a loss and they're doing anything can to sell the movie to the home market. I think I'll definitely give this one a pass.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

Oh yes, indeed, there WAS a rush to get this one into theaters. I'm told there was quite a lot of 11th hour work done on this film. However, I, too, suspect that this blog comment was made just to try to boost home video sales for a film that isn't going to perform to expectations at the box office.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Only in Hollywood can you come out number two against a juggernaut like Dark Knight, and be considered a failure. ;)

Some shots in the movie seemed so badly framed, I had to wonder if someone pushed the wrong button somewhere. (Others seemed fine, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't bad projection!) It's bad enough they went the shaky cam route, often at the wrong times.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I saw this today and really enjoyed it, a Blu purchase for sure. Almost as good as #1, much better then #2. But the lack of Rachel was felt throughout the film, too bad she didn't make it. Should be an awesome looking and sounding disc.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Just because someone is a director doesn't mean that he knows squat about the technical parts of film making. I've personally worked for several who couldn't load film into a camera if you held a gun to their heads.

Many directors don't have a clue how film works, they just know how to get those who do know to do what they want.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks