Mummy Returns: Will there be an UE????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Fieldstadt, Sep 27, 2001.

1. John Fieldstadt

John Fieldstadt Stunt Coordinator

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but the search function is down.
    Is is safe to assume that there will be an Ultimate Edition coming out down the road? Or is that just speculation?
    ------------------
    Sony KP-61HS10, Sony DB940, Toshiba SD-6200, JVC HR-7600U, Sony CE545, Sony Sat. Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5, RC-3 & RS-3), Klipsch KSW-15, Sennheiser RS-6, Sony RM-AV2100

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Unless the UE editions that already exist had abysmal sales figures, I'd be willing to bet there is a UE in time for "The Scorpion King". At the very least a repackaging with a ticket to see the new film.
    I was very happy with the original "The Mummy" DVD and never bought the UE. Unless someone tells me that the new commentaries are amazing or there is some must have feature, I just don't see the point.
    I'll be getting the current edition of "The Mummy Returns" as well. Looks good to me.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

4. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Do birds fly???
    Do bees sting??
    I believe we'll see a UE of Mummy Returns since its getting a whiz bang first edition. Look at all the UEs available now and all had pretty good Collector's Editions.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

5. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Really the only selling point in th UE versions are a DTS soundtrack. All of the UE's released had excellant versions before it. Minus Meet Joe Black it was just movie only. But if you don't have the Collector's Edition and DTS isn't that big of a deal to you then get the Collector's Edition. But like others have said you can bet on a UE of Mummy 2 within 6 to 9 months. At least that is my opinion.

6. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    There are reasons to believe this won't happen. First, they did not do this for Jurassic Park when JP III was released. Second they usually release so they can have promotional material for the next movie on the disc, but the edition comming Tuesday already has promotional material for The Scorpion King. Third, they usually only have UE of movies that were released on DVD before they started their UE line.
    But then, no DTS track does make you wonder whether they are holding things back for a UE release.
    I have been going back and forth on whether to pick this one up on Tuesday or wait to see if a UE comes out around the release of The Scorpion King. I probably will since I have DD 5.1 capability but not DTS yet. It also like like it is a pretty good disc that does the movie justice. But then, if I am buying I might as well get the better version.
    Oh please, someone from Universal clear this up and stop my head from spinning. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

7. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'll bet you the moon there will be an Ultimate Edition with DTS soundtrack and free movie pass to get people interested in The Scorpion King (blech!) right before the time of its release next year.
    Don't fall for Universal's crappy sales practices a second time. Wait my friends and be patient.
    They put DTS-ES (matrix or discrete??) on JP III because I'd imagine there won't be a sequel now (the third one did abysmally at the box office) and the movie's run time is short.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

9. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I'd bet my life that come March, Universal releases a UE of The Mummy Returns or re-releases the current DVD of The Mummy Returns with a free movie ticket for The Scorpion King or they'll wait for the UE of The Mummy Returns when The Scorpion King hits video.
    quote: They put DTS-ES (matrix or discrete??) on JP III because I'd imagine there won't be a sequel now (the third one did abysmally at the box office) and the movie's run time is short.[/quote]
    Why in god's good name did you use the term 'abysmally?' The film did pretty good in most people's books. The film cost around $90 million and so far has taken in over $180 million at the domestic box office. Also, Spielberg gave Universal permission to greenlight a Jurassic Park IV after JPIII's opening weekend.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
    [Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on September 28, 2001 at 12:17 AM]

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Universal's thinking: Bad Movie = Ultimate Edition. So expect one soon.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

11. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

quote: There are reasons to believe this won't happen. First, they did not do this for Jurassic Park when JP III was released. [/quote]
    Didn't need to. JP3 was a guaranteed money maker. They will have to sell the concept of the Scorpion King to the masses and not just the wrestling fans. After Universal's experiment with the Mummy U.E., I can almost positively say that there will be a U.E. with a free pass to the Scorpion King (rather than a reissue of the collector's edition with the pass). Universal will have to pull out all the stops for that one to do well.
    [Edited last by Gordon Moore on September 28, 2001 at 09:11 AM]

12. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey I bought the Mummy:UE after buying the CE and believe it is worth it just for Brendon Frasiers commentary. It is very funny.

13. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Hey, you know what'll happen... as said before, a UE when Scorpion King hits theaters, and THEN a UE trilogy set when Scorpion King comes out on DVD, and THEN later a Scorpion King UE when "Three Mummies And A Baby" hits theaters.
    (Oh, yeah, like they're just going to sit on another sequel, and ignore the hugh box office $$$)
    You just have to look at a DVD's special features and ask yourself is it enough, do they have the DTS you want? If the answer's no, then just rent it to get it out of your system. All of our collections are getting out of hand, who needs another one you're not entirely sure about? I know I don't.
    But yeah, big money on a UE for M.R.

14. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

15. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I wish they would just put out one SE and that is it.
    Nothing worse than when a studio milks us to death with different SE's
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
    Thank you WILL K for the banner

16. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

Lets squeeze their balls dry by not buying next week's version!
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy