"Mummy Returns" Impressions - Good Stuff!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Jacobson, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I haven't gone through the extras, but the video/audio quality of Mummy Returns are as good as one would expect/hope. The image looked absolutely stellar. I saw virtually no concerns other than one tiny hair that popped up toward the end of the movie. Otherwise, sharpness was excellent, with no apparent signs of jaggies, edge enhancement or shimmering, and no grain or other print flaws existed (with the exception of that wee hair).
    Colors stayed with a nice golden glow that fits the movie. Other hues also came across cleanly, and blacks were deep and rich. Lotsa dark scenes here, and they looked clean and accurate. No complaints here.
    Also excellent was the Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Loud, clear, and powerful, the mix moves the movie like it should. All five channels got a strong work-out, and the audio seemed clean and distinct, with very good bass. Yes, it'd be nice to have DTS as well, but I thought this was a great track.
    Many anticipate the eventual arrival of an "Ultimate Edition", and the supplements found here won't discourage such thoughts. I haven't been able to screen them, but I went through them and thought they seemed like less than the sum of their parts. The disc includes lots of separate pieces, but few seem substantial. I'll reserve judgment until I've checked out all of them, but right now I'm disappointed by the lack of depth.
    Still, it looks like a good disc as a whole. The movie itself is presented in an excellent manner, so other concerns become less important...
    ------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide
    www.dvdmg.com

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

This is something that interests me. For this kind of movie, is that amount of supplemental content enough for its fans? It seems to surprisingly fail in meeting the demands buyers of this type of movie have for such high profile releases. Is it unwise to indeed presume Universal will follow this up with a two-disc set sooner rather than later?

Dan (UK)

3. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Yes, I agree ...this release should be just fine for me.

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

To be honest, although I havent heard the Mummy Returns track yet, but the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on the original Mummy Collectors Edition is one of the best there is...so I really see no need to upgrade to a DTS track. And like already stated, the supplements, although not awesome, are sufficient, so I think I'll get this disc and just ignore any future re-re-re-re-releases.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Well after reading the review from Widescreen it realy did
    not change my mind to buy the US-version.
    I will be buying the region 2 dvd of The Mummy Returns just
    because it has DTS and has a second disc with all the extra's on it.
    To bad though that Universal did not add DTS to this release
    It would have made this dvd a little more complete for me.
    ------------------
    There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

That's all well and good, Quint, but will you still fall for Universal's sneaky tricks should a so called 'Ultimate Edition' with potentially even more extras and DTS surfaces Rregion 1 in the new year?

Dan (UK)

8. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Sounds pretty good to me. I will be getting this release only. I really have no interest in extras for the Mummy Returns, not to mention that most of the Universal extras are usually promotional fluff anyway. The packaging on this issue will match nicely sitting next to my Mummy CE that I decided not to replace.
    J
    [Edited last by Justin Lane on September 12, 2001 at 09:38 AM]

10. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Do you guys have this disc allready?
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-09-09
    And PLEASE sign my guestbook!!
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

11. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Hi Dan !
    Well let me just say that the region 2 version I am buying will be the first and the last dvd I'll buy of The Mummy
    Returns.
    I will not be tricked into buying an Ultimate Edition just
    because there are a little more extra's on it to promote
    The Scorpion King, NO THANKS.
    I have spoken to an spokes-person from Columbia Tristar ,which distributes The Mummy Returns dvd in Europe and other countries, and he said the set will be great so
    therefore I will be waiting a couple of weeks longer and
    buy the R2 version.
    Universal must see that it's better to release products in a good way first way round.
    Not to get more dollars from dvd-fans around the country.
    I say NO to Ultimate Editions from Universal.
    ------------------
    There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

13. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think that's a sound move, Quint! I'd continue to support the 'Collector's Edition' label as I hate this idea of once great CEs now being treated as second best.

I am at least happy seeing Scorsese's Cape Fear under the Collector's Edition label as two disc set with Dolby and DTS.

Dan (UK)

14. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I wait until the release of The Scorpion King to see if there will be an Ultimate Edition. I don't have to have this one on release date, and if buying, I might as well get a better release.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

15. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Did they fix the effects? The disparity of the special effects was stupefying. The armies of Anubis looked fantastic, but the Scorpion King? My god. It looked like they renedered it with a Dreamcast. Definitely NOT up to snuff. The wall of water was also pretty weak compared to the wall of sand from the first. Looked to me like they were rushed BIG TIME to get the f/x done. It would be nice if they did some of them over, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
    ------------------
    "I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

16. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

"It looked like they renedered it with a Dreamcast. "..
    Damn, that wasy funny - and very true. I was very satisfied with this movie until the crappola CGI for the Scorpion King.
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

17. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Well I for one am going to wait for the inevitable "UE" (like any of you care what I do! [​IMG] )
    My pockets are almost empty as it is with so many great releases between now and the end of the year, and this film isn't high on my proiorties...but I will buy the UE.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

18. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if the DVDFile isn't in the proper state of mind, but it didn't give the video quality a very good score; 3 1/2 outta 5. [​IMG]
    DVDFile review
    Troy
    ------------------

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I'm increasingly finding that fault, and indeed praise, seen in a lot of modern day DVD transfers is partially down to the film's cinematography. For example, Hannibal was a decent looking movie, and it subsequently helped in it being what many believe to be a good looking DVD.

When I see reports that are not always in mass praise of a specific DVDs image quality I feel a good part of a films cinematography takes the blame for what an uneducated reviewer may believe to be fault of the transfe. Indeed, part of DVD File's take on the video for instance highlights the abundance of CGI work in The Mummy, and I feel such thins can actually throw one's perceptions visually as when you mix so many elements (entire 35mm shots, entire CG shots, mix of both..etc), there is a sudden lack of coherence to the resulting image on screen. Sadly such faults are often more visible in a home video release.

Dan (UK)

20. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor