What's new

Multizone/Multisource Question (Denon 3802) (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I have the 3802 running my 5.1 system in my living room right now.

What I would like to do is use the 2nd zone/source to power some in-ceiling speakers in my bedroom. I DO know how to do this, as its not that hard.

My question is this: I would love to have a single stereo speaker in the ceiling in my bathroom (ive seen speakers like this that are for this purpose). It can be the same source as my bedroom. So all in all I only want 2 sources, just 3 zones. Is this possible? Is there any way to run all of this from my 3802?

Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 2 free channels would probably drive all 4 speakers just fine. Individual volume control is where you will have issues. If the same volume level for both rooms is acdeptable, it's a piece of cake. You should run the R's in series (16 Ohm if they are 8 ohm speakers), same with the two L's respectively.

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
Niles sells an "impedance magnifying" volume control and speaker wire distribution block. You hook the speaker wires out from your amp to the dist block then to each location you want a volume control. From the volume control then to the speakers. Evidently the volume controls magnify the speakers impedance...IE...if you have two sets of 8 ohm speakers...it makes them each look like 16 ohm speakers and the end result to your amp is 8 ohms...if that makes any sense. It does result in reducing the output of your amp...IE if you are running 100wpc...after the IM volume control each speaker set will actually be seeing 50wpc. each vol control is about $70
check out niles site for more info....
Niles volume controllers link

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ever tried it kurt?? I was not pleased when I tried to use such devices in the past. Volume changes seem to effect both zones as well as audio fidelity.

Now I have used the Niles distribution amps with volume control wired back to the amp. That works hella great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks