Multitrack recording on PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I was hoping to try out some FREE software to see if I like this. Can anyone recommend anything? I am mostly interested in recording voice and guitar. I don't need any fancy software, fx, etc. Just, hopefully, something that lets me record more than a minute or so (as some shareware programs are limited in this way).

Thanks!

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Offhand, you could try ProToolsFree. It's a little high-level considering ProTools is its basis. It should turn up in a search on most search engines. Read about it and see if you'd be interested in a download.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Pro tools free is good- 8 tracks only, but it's good to know the interface since it's the industry standard.

Sonic Foundry's VEGAS is a video program, but is actually SUPER functional for multitrack audio recording and editing (and really easy to use). Not free, but I've seen 'close out" sales on it in the best buy camera department for $89.

-vince

4. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I've heard of Vegas for sure; maybe that'll go on the christmas list. In the meantime, I'll check out ProToolsFree. Now to write that rock opera...