Multiswitch Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RonGecan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

I did some background reading and hope I'm getting this correct. I have DirecTV with four leads coming out -- two go to the Tivo in the living room and one each to separate tuners in the basement and bedroom. Currently that's fine for my needs. However, we're doing basement work and intend to have another Tivo in the basement plus we're drywalling the basement ceiling, so I have to make sure all electrical/connectivity stuff is taken care of "forever more". So on both accounts I want to expand the number of connections to my dish beyond the 4 I currently have.

Is it as simple as getting a 4x8 multiswitch, plugging all four inputs into it, and then running the 8 outputs in whatever way suits my needs?

If that is the case, what is the point of connecting all 4 into a single multiswitch, can I, for example, connect each correct pair to a 2xN switch as necessary?

Thanks.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you connect pair to a 2xN, then all of the outputs of the 2xN will only carry the 101 satellite. On the 4x8 example, one input sends a 13V DC signal to the multi-switch in the dish. That line carries all of the channels on odd transponders from the 101 satellite location. The next input sends a 18V DC signal to the multi-switch in the dish. That line carries all of the channels on even transponders from the 101 satellite location. The next input sends a 13V DC signal and a 22Khz tone to the multi-switch in the dish. That line carries all of the channels on odd transponders from the combined 110/119 satellite location. The next input sends a 18V DC signal and a 22Khz tone to the multi-switch in the dish. That line carries all of the channels on even transponders from the combined 110/119 satellite location.

-Robert