Multiswitch and diplexer question?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarkMac, Mar 13, 2004.

1. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Right now, I've got an antenna (for OTA HD) in the attic along with my four cables from my DirecTV. All four of the cables are being used, and I have one of them along with the OTA RG6 cable running to a diplexer, and the resulting cable runs down through the wall a couple floors to the family room.

My question is: can I can use a multiswich, post-diplexer, down in the family room to run a 2nd DirecTV receiver on my HDTV now that the one cable running down there already contains OTA signal as well as DirectTV?

Using the multiswitch prior to the diplexer isn't really an option because I only have one length of RG6 running through the walls down to that room.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Multi-switchers are not like splitters. The ones with 2 satellite inputs require both cables to be connected to both inputs to work correctly. Same with the models with 4 inputs. There are some expensive ways to use that one cable for multiple receivers but you will lose the ability to receive the 110 and 119 satellites (where most of the HD programming is broadcast from). The only proper way to do it is run more cable.

-Robert

3. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Why do you need two receivers in the family room? Couldnt you just retire your present receiver and hook up an HD satellite receiver?

4. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to run 2 receivers for PIP. One is an HD receiver, the other is SD.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I have 2 receivers on one TV. One HD and one DirecTivo. I have 3 runs of coax from the dish to the living room.

-Robert