Multisource/Multiroom Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Kel, Nov 19, 2002.

1. David Kel

David Kel Auditioning

My future setup is this: Surround sound in my living room and 2 speakers on my covered patio with a wall-mounted volume control for the patio speakers. My goal is to be able to play surround sound in the living room and still be able to listen to the radio on the patio, and I've been told to accomplish this I need a multisource/multiroom capable receiver.

A few were mentioned, but after researching those it looks like they are all around $1000. Do any of you know of any other receivers that could accomplish this for less money? I was hoping I could find something around the $500 range. It needs to have around 100 WPC too.

2. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

watts per channel can be deceiving. going from 65 to 100 really isn't going to give you as much as you think. Just food for thought.

The denon 1803 has multiroom/multisource capability. I belive it lists for $499, though a couple stores in my area have it on the shelf for $449.

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

FYI The 1803 is under $400 at etronics...

4. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

They have the 883 for even cheaper, and from what I've heard, it's the same exact receiver. Only problem with it is that they're not an authorized Denon e-tailor so you won't get a Denon warranty.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The new H/K AVR325 and 525 are both multiroom/multisource and they are now using the Russound A-Bus system (in addition to standard line-level outs and IR in). For A-Bus, you run a CAT5 cable from the receiver to a hub, then from the hub to an amplified keypad. Check out http://www.russound.com for details on A-Bus and http://www.harmankardon.com for details on their receivers.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Denon 1803 is multiroom/multisource, but the second room (the patio in this case) would only be receiving a mono signal to 2 speakers, not stereo. If this is ok with you, the 1803 is a great receiver.

One thing to keep in mind, w/ the 1803, if you use the multisource/multiroom capabilities, you will be limited to 5.1 surround, and will not be able to take advantage of 6.1 source material.

Hope this helps.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I purchased the Denon AVR-1803/883 receiver for the 2nd room output capabilities. I wasn't worried about limiting my theater sound to 5.1 because I don't plan on adding any more speakers. However, I tried 8 ways to Sunday to get the 2nd zone to work. No go. I even contacted Denon support and went through the following checklist:

1) Switch set to multi-room on the back of the receiver to allow for this option to be used.

2) Selected the source. It had to be an analog source - the digital coax cable from the DVD/CD player will not work as a multi-room input source.

3) My tuner was tried and so was my DVD/CD player with RCA cables.

After all of this effort, the 2nd zone still wouldn't work. Possibly, I got a bad Denon? I'm not sure, but I'm returning this receiver as much as I hate to. When using the AVR-1803/883 in my regular listening area, I'm very impressed with what I hear. However, I'm just disappointed that the 2nd zone outputs don't properly work because that is the reason for my upgrade from the AVR-1802 to the AVR-1803/883.