Multiroom remote IR extender?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewErickson, Oct 17, 2003.

1. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

I have a HK AVR325 and I want to use the multiroom zone to power some speakers on my back patio. The receiver comes with 2 remotes and I want to be able to use one outside. The receiver has a miniplug outlet on the back that allows you to hook up an extender.

Does anyone know of one that has about a 10 foot cord so I can put a small hole in my house to place the IR receiver through?

It would look like this...

Receiver -> cable through outside wall -> IR receiver on end of cable outside my house

Thanks!

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Andrew, I've not used them myself, but you can look here for some options

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Andrew, If you go with the one from H/K, it runs about $65.00. Even if the cable is not long enough, you should be able to go to Radio Shack to purchase an extension cord with mini plugs, so it would be long enough for you. But, my guess is that it would come with enough cable to be sufficient for most installations. After all, what's the use of an "extender" for use in another room if the cable isn't long enough?

If you decide on one and purchase it, please share the details. Thanks.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Topher5000

Topher5000 Auditioning

Get the remote extender. You could probably get one real cheap on ebay.
    I've got an H/K 325 & I use a Recoton IR100 remote extender. It has a mini-jack so an eye can be plugged in & hung over the equipment ir sesor. I made a mono mini-plug to mono mini-plug cable & ran it from the IR100 to the MR Input jack on the back of the H/K 325. Works perfect.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have had poor luck with the IR/RF Stuff for RS. I started with the X10 pyramids (RS branded), but for some reason they started to get really unreliable in my rig, and that was with them only a few feet apart.

I swapped those for the RS types, and found them to be equally unreliable. This suggests that I may have an RF issue in my rig (I have added a lot of new equipment lately) that has caused these issues, but still, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

My final solution was to get some Xantec stuff here http://www.hometech.com/

Worked flawlessly. I even can place the IR receiver behind the speaker grill of my center channel. Totally stealth.

One more point is to be sure you can plug a IR receiver straight in to your receiver. My NAD can accept IR signals, but the receivers I bought required power, which the NAD did not provide.

I purchased an IR connecting block which takes the 3.5mm stereo plug from the IR receiver (power AND signal), then allows up to 4 outputs to IR blasters and/or 3.5mm mono cables.

FWIW, you can download the Xantec manual from their own site http://www.xantech.com/

Its has a great deal of info on all this stuff, even if your needs are more basic at the moment.

Note that it looks like their site if down at the moment.

BGL

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I agree I've tried using the IR extenders from Radio Shack (rocoton) and they didn't work for me either. I'm now using Buffalo products from Smarthome and they're much more reliable and Smarthome was amazing to work with when I called customer service about an issue I had with one unit.

8. AndrewErickson

9. AndrewErickson

TTT

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit