What's new

multiroom question with denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Steve Padua

Auditioning
I will be setting up my system soon using a denon 4802 receiver, running 7 speakers plus subwoofer in the main room.

I would want to run two speakers in my kitchen and 4 speakers outdoors, and maybe our "homeschool", music only. I do not care if the main room will have music when these "rooms" are on. I would like to set up my 400 cd disc player for these music rooms.

I believe the 4802 has three room funtionality, but since I will be 7.1, really only two room capable. I believe that for one room I will need an amplifier and probably a switcher and volume control. I plan on either def tech outdoor sp or Niles 10 or 20's for the outdoors and Kef q1 or bw 303's for the kitchen.

What size amp should I get...probably to power the outdoors, a friend is offering me a Rotel 75w/channel stereo amp 971 mk11?

Since I have to buy an amp, switcher/vol controler (maybe $500-600 for a decent set up other than the rotel above))...and do not care if I have the main system on...should I just buy a cheaper receiver...denon2802 or something around its price and then run these extra rooms as a totally independant system?

Thanks ...Steve

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
The 4802 only has 2 room capability. To get sound in the second zone you'll need an amp, and that is all since the 4802 has the ability to control a second zone all by it's lonesome. If you don't go 7.1 you can get by with just a pair of speakers since the 4802 allows you to assign the rear surround amps to power a secnod zone.

Steve Padua

Auditioning
Thanks John for that clarification.

Since I can use the controls off the denon then I guess I need the rf signal extender for the remote, an amp, and a four pair speaker switcher. To get decent sound when the kitchen and both pairs of outside speakers and maybe another room all going...I suppose the 75 watt/channel Rotel may not cut it. Something in the 150 watt to 200 watt range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kp100
Recent bookmarks