multiroom question with denon 4802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Padua, May 10, 2002.

1. Steve Padua

Steve Padua Auditioning

I will be setting up my system soon using a denon 4802 receiver, running 7 speakers plus subwoofer in the main room.

I would want to run two speakers in my kitchen and 4 speakers outdoors, and maybe our "homeschool", music only. I do not care if the main room will have music when these "rooms" are on. I would like to set up my 400 cd disc player for these music rooms.

I believe the 4802 has three room funtionality, but since I will be 7.1, really only two room capable. I believe that for one room I will need an amplifier and probably a switcher and volume control. I plan on either def tech outdoor sp or Niles 10 or 20's for the outdoors and Kef q1 or bw 303's for the kitchen.

What size amp should I get...probably to power the outdoors, a friend is offering me a Rotel 75w/channel stereo amp 971 mk11?

Since I have to buy an amp, switcher/vol controler (maybe $500-600 for a decent set up other than the rotel above))...and do not care if I have the main system on...should I just buy a cheaper receiver...denon2802 or something around its price and then run these extra rooms as a totally independant system?

Thanks ...Steve

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

The 4802 only has 2 room capability. To get sound in the second zone you'll need an amp, and that is all since the 4802 has the ability to control a second zone all by it's lonesome. If you don't go 7.1 you can get by with just a pair of speakers since the 4802 allows you to assign the rear surround amps to power a secnod zone.

3. Steve Padua

Steve Padua Auditioning

Thanks John for that clarification.

Since I can use the controls off the denon then I guess I need the rf signal extender for the remote, an amp, and a four pair speaker switcher. To get decent sound when the kitchen and both pairs of outside speakers and maybe another room all going...I suppose the 75 watt/channel Rotel may not cut it. Something in the 150 watt to 200 watt range?