What's new

Multiroom Dish install (1 Viewer)

Dave IW

Auditioning
I am about to order Dish 6000 to finally get some HD content onto my Hitachi HDTV. I will get the 6023 package for the receiver and dishes and switches. Here is the question: I would like to add a receiver to be shared between 2 TV's (Den and Bedroom). If I locate the second receiver in the Den, and connect the TV directly (composite) how do I get signal from there to the TV in the bedroom? I currently have cable from an outside connection point to all 3 locations including where the 6000 receiver will go in the living room. Can I output the receivers signal on RF and pick it up on any other TV in the house? How is the quality? What is the advised path here, and what is the best model choice for the add on receiver?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
If you have no OTA channels on 2/3/4, you can output the RF to a distribution point, combine it with your antenna line, and distribute the whole thing house-wide. Results can be anything from horrible to acceptable. You may as well try just reversing a splitter to add to your antenna input. If this gives less than desirable results, try a cheap "signal combiner," which offers some rudimentary filtering. Tru-Spec has one for under $40. Results may or may not be any better than a reversed splitter. Sometimes you luck out and get acceptable results from one of the above...
Alternatively, get yourself a UHF modulator and modulate to an unused UHF channel. Less chance of crosstalk with the VHF band using one of these.
Better choices:
Get a wireless video transmitter/receiver and output from the composite out of the sat receiver to the video transmitter. Get as many receivers as you want for the rest of the house. Cost is fairly reasonable for geberally better quality than the above options.
Or, the best option: get a digital, tuned stereo modulator. Best to get one that allows you to choose from 2 or more channels, so you can pick one that won't interfere with local broadcasts. The good ones will run you a couple hundred bucks or more.
You can get a good idea of the many choices you have at: www.smarthome.com
-Scott

Dave IW

Auditioning
Thanks for the input Scott. Those are all good options. What is the standard way to do this? or are you not meant to drive 2 TV's off one receiver?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I don't know that there is a "standard" way to do this. Most receivers, to my knowledge, have two sets of composite outputs and 2 s-video outs, as well as stereo outs, an RF out, and some have digital/PCM audio out. You can easily drive two components in the same room by simply plugging into an appropriate output.
Driving devices at a distance is a matter of price/performance and installation. You still have all the outputs on the receiver to choose your source format - but you have to decide how to distribute the signal based on quality needed, money in hand, and how much time and trouble you want to go through for installation.
My installation has two receivers - one of which has a UHF remote. That unit is directly connected via s-video and stereo audio to the television in the main viewing room where the receiver is located. The RF out goes into my house-wide distribution system and is combined with my antenna lead, so I get DISH on channel 4 - video is okay but susceptible to RF interference - audio is mono. My second receiver is hooked directly to a television in a second viewing room, so that another person can watch a different program in stereo and s-video at that location.
The best quality option depends on the distance from the receiver to the intended destination. Obviously, a direct connect s-video and stereo audio cables gives the best output. If it's not possible to run the cables, look into one of the other options I outlined. Search the web for options so you can see what the price points are. You can spend anything from $5 to $500, depending on quality desired (and luck if you're dealing with RF distribution).
-Scott

Dave IW

Auditioning
Thanks Scott, I really appreciate the input from someone who has done this. I will probably do it the way you have, feed it back into the cable as channel 3.
Dave

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I'm not mistaken, the Dish6000 does not have an RF out. I'll check when I get home and edit this post.
Update:
I checked the picture of the back of the 6000 at Echostar Knowledge Base and there is NO RF output. Link Removed

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I'm sharing a 6000 receiver using a "DVD Anywhere" (same as a "Entertainment Anywhere") from www.x10.com. I take the R/L audio, and composite video out of the 6000, plug it into the 2.4GHz transmitter. The receiver sits just behind the little 13" color TV/VCR in our kitchen, and is hooked up via the composite R/L audio and video inputs of the TV!
Picked up an additional UHR/IR remote for the 6000 for about $40. The UHR remote reaches the 6000 receiver (up stairs) without a problem.
Works great!
Spence
------------------
SpenceJT
http://personalpages.tds.net/~spencejt
"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks