What's new

Multipurpose Room HT (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We moved a few months ago from our home with a dedicated 11.2 home theater to a smaller home that doesn't have room for a dedicated theater. It's a tri-level home so we are going to be using the rec room as a hangout space/home theater.

Room as the previous owners had it:
IMG_0018.JPG

There was almost no artificial light (it gets dark early in the winter)' and there was an ugly HVAC run going through the middle of the room. The texture was in awful shape. The interior wall to the left was really nice 1 inch thick painted shipboard that had some 2 inch holes in it.

We started out by moving the HVAC to above the window and door, and we lowered the window to match the height of the door. We put in 6 can lights on each side and cut in some areas into the extra thick wall where we can have some additional Blu-ray storage.
IMG_1810.JPG

We cut a hole in the wall that opens into a "dead space" we created in the office next door. We are going to put a pull out equipment rack there so we don't have to have an equipment rack in the room. We used the wood we pulled out to patch the 2 inch holes that a previous owner had put in the wall. We are going with Triad in ceiling and in wall speakers. The front three and 4 Dolby Atmos speakers will be in ceiling, the side speakers and sub will be in wall. It will be a 5.1.4 system. The 3/4 bathroom connected to the space is also getting remodeled, that's why there is a vanity in the room.

IMG_1813.JPG

One of two BD in wall storage locations and the R side speaker. While we moved the HVAC lines over, there was a beam we were unable to move.

IMG_1812.JPG

Here is the second storage location and the subwoofer location.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
What a great space -- looks like you're going to really explore the rooms potential. Looks like a fun project!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks guys! Will hopefully have the walls and trim done by the end of next week when I will post some updated photos. TV will be a priority as I want a 2016 model that supports 3D. Rest may have to wait a bit as we are rebuilding the dock and deck at the same time to get ready for summer, so I need to see where the budget on those comes in at.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I got so busy working on projects I forgot to update the thread. Here is how the construction continued:

We got the shelves installed:

full

Another view after priming:

full

Front wall, front speaker cutouts, equipment rack location:

full

Closer view of rack location:

full

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Really like your built-ins for your collection!
That was a happy accident. We noticed when we re-routed the line for the heatpump that they had furred the walls out to be deep enough to cover the short cement foundation wall (usually they just put a trim piece over the wider lip). We were hurting for Blu-ray storage so we decided to put the space to use.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
VERY nice, Adam!!! Major congrats. In my case, I can do a lot in my theater room but my wife isn't really on board so I have to keep it within limits. Even though she doesn't drink, let's call her "Jill 6 Pack."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks