What's new

Multiple Zone vs B speaker outputs??? (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
I'm looking at the features of the Denon 2802 vs the 3802. I noticed that the 2802 has B speaker outputs listed as well as Multiple Zones/Sources. The 3802 does not have the B speaker outputs.

What is the difference between Multiple Zones/Sources and B Speaker Outputs?

Will the 90 watt Denon play as loud as a 100 watt Sony ES (the 3) in general? I'm running Polks.

Thanks

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Bump up for a good question. I, too, am considering either the 2802 or the 3802, but one main requirement is that the receiver must have the ability to power an additional 2 speakers out on the porch.
Good catch. I didn't notice that the 3802 didn't have B speaker terminals.
Aaron
Edit: Just found this:
http://www.HomeTheaterSpot.Com/ubb/u...&f=61&t=000244

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
The difference is that the 2802 requires a seperate amp to power the 2nd zone, the 3802 doesn't. The B speakers on the 2802 allow you to have another set of speakers hooked up, but they can only play what is currently playing at the main source, and at the same volume.

With the multi zone feature on the 3802, you can play a second set of speakers, at a totally different volume, and a totally different source. I currently have mine hooked up this way, powering patio speakers. What is nice, is that when I have a party, I can have the main theater playing a 5.1 source in 5.1 AND power the patio speaker from the radio, CD, or whatever at a totally different volume.

You can do this with the 2802, but you will have to purchase a seperate 2 channel amp, or use powered speakers, etc.

Some notes on the 3802 - you can have either 7.1 or the 2nd power zone, but not both. You can have 7.1, and use the multi-zone feature with a seperate power amp. You have to use the remote control to adjust the volume, and the only way to turn off the 2nd zone is to turn the volume all the way down (for the 2nd zone). Kind of annoying, but not really a big deal. It would be nice to have an off setting, so you don't have to readjust the volume.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

P.S. I own the 3802 and I absolutely love it. A fine piece of equipment!

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the 3802, and have patio speakers that I used to have hooked up to the B speakers of my Yamaha DSP-A2. I was actually disappointed to learn that there were no B speakers like most receivers have. I bought the 3802 for the 7.1 capabilities...and I love it, but right now I have no way to listen to music on my patio.

Is it true that I can have 7.1 and listen to my patio speakers if I get a separate 2 channel receiver?

Matt

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Matt - yes you can. You just use the multi-zone pre outs on the back of the receiver to the inputs on the seperate amp.

There are some setup options for this, like having the output level be constant, or variable, meaning the receiver controls the volume.

Bryan

Roy_G

Auditioning
My Lord that was tough! I'm thrilled with my 3802, but it took me days to figure out the multi-zone function! Thanks to the posts on this list and HomeTheaterSpot I got it figured out in less than 48 hours. ;)
Roy

Roy_G

Auditioning
Well OK, so maybe I'm a moron...

As posted above I managed to get the multi speakers working fine, but that was when I was listening to the *tuner* through the multi speakers and anything else through the main channels. Now, the problem is that no matter what I do I can't get the CD to play through the multi speakers...

I'm using a DVD player (Pioneer Elite DV-36 if it matters) as my CD player, and I've tried selecting both DVD (which is what I do to listen to CD's out of my main channels) and CD to no avail.

Any suggestions? Again, the CD's play perfectly downstairs, just not upstairs but the tuner does.

Roy (ending the year confused)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks