What's new

Multiple TV's in a room (1 Viewer)

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so posting a few different ideas tonight. I am going to do a 70" LED over the fireplace in my new home theater room I am building. Well besides the fireplace I have two big wall areas. So tonight I was thinking, what if I put 2 55" or 60" plasmas on each side.
Interesting idea, you could split the HDMI and put the same program on all 3 TVs (probaly annoying) or if I could get 2 more Sat Boxes i could watch 3 bowl games at once.
Seriously, you think it would be cool or annoying?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Cool idea but Ive never had good luck splitting HDMI (probably due to its copy protection). Component, which will pass 1080i, I have had daily success splitting but HDMI just wasnt stable or reliable. If it were me I would take the time to provide each display with its own discrete source to avoid trying to share a single HDMI source among multiple displays.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Another challenge with three satellite boxes is getting the remote controls to work correctly. You may have some challenging (and expensive) hoops to jump through so you can operate each box independently.

Also, if you've read this forum, I'm sure you've seen this mentioned lots of times, but I'll go ahead and mention it...

A 70" display above a fireplace is not something I would ever do myself. That is going to place the image VERY high and unless you plan on standing while watching most of your programming, it will likely get uncomfortable.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I didn't think of that, remotes would be a huge issue for sure....I think the wife may have talked me out of it. As for installation, no way would I try to that myself. I am great at connecting up a home theater but as for the mounting, I wouldn't even think of trying that myself. I need a guy to put power up there and move all the cords to the right places too.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you have Directv this is easy, if all the receivers are HD-DVR...
On the HD-DVR, you can switch the remote(s) to RF...then one remote only controls the box it is associated with.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, RF is only one at at time............I need to see how much that is going to run me to have a few receivers in the same room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy them used on Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-TV-HR21-200-HD-DVR-Receiver-with-Remote-/200868429335?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item2ec4b0fe17

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can use at least 2 DirecTV high def DVRs with an IR remote without issue. My Harmony 880 controls both of my DVRs and they are sitting on top of each other in the equipment rack. As far as splitting the HDMI signal, you can go with a Monoprice 4x4 matrix switch. You can independently assign each output to an input. All TVs showing the same program, each one showing something different or a combination. Again, easily controlled from a remote (my Harmony controls my 4x2 Monoprice matrix switch).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks