What's new

Multiple tv system (1 Viewer)

Tacticalnerd

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and would like some suggestions. I am going to build a multi tv system as a home theatre. I have a spare bedroom that is not being used and have sold the idea of a home theatre to my wife. A lot of thought has gone into this and the budget is around $5000 but that is not firm.

We want to have at least two 4K tvs, three 4K tvs would be more optimal. We have already researched tvs and think the 2015 Vizio M series 4K tvs would best fit our needs and budget. We want the tvs to be mounted on the wall in either a pyramid formation for three tvs or side by side if just two. I have thought of a way to be able to use the remotes on all three using IR extenders and extending two to opposite ends of the room and since the extenders will cover the IR sensors on two of the tvs then I could point the remote at the third tv to control it.

The hard part that I need advice on is how to be able to hook up all of the components so that I can receive 4K content to all three tvs. The components that I would want to have access to on all three tvs is a cable box, blu-ray player, and htpc (the htpc will be used mainly for a plex server but would also be used for web surfing). We are also going to connect two PS4s to the system and would like to be able to switch the PS4s between tvs, but this is not a requirement as we can dedicate one PS4 to a tv and the other PS4 to another tv.

I would also like for us to be able to have atmos surround sound in the room as well. The surround sound can be dedicated to a single tv but the option to switch between the three would be nice.

The reason for this setup is we game frequently and love to spend time together, but we often times can't decide on one thing to do/watch. Also when we watch shows or tvs we like to search the Internet for interesting things that we see on the shows.

This setup might be unobtainable without spending tens of thousands of dollars, but I would greatly appreciate any help.

We already have the two PS4s and I am currently building the htpc, so those components don't need to go into the price. I also have a wired network in the house and all of the components will have a wired Ethernet connection.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only way this will work with consumer-grade equipment will be for each TV to have its own set of free-standing electronics – i.e. blu ray player, cable box, PS4, and an AVR to switch the components.

If you want all this with a single set of components, then you’re talking about professional-grade video equipment to manage it all, and that stuff is big bucks.

It would be far cheaper to just make a decision on what to watch or do (“we’ll watch the movie first and then play a video game later”), and do your internet searching on your phones or tablets.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tacticalnerd

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I have found several hdmi matrixes that on face value should work. All of them that tout 4K are all over $500, but just by looking at the specs seem to work. Would these "professional - grade" solutions work and if so are they easy enough to use for DIY. I have a fair knowledge of of audio/video experience, computers, and electrical work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks