What's new

Multiple Surge protectors? (1 Viewer)

Brad O

Auditioning
Does anyone know if using multiple surge protectors causes a drop or fluctuation in electrical current?

I have a cheap multi-outlet surge protector plugged into the wall outlet, attached to that is a cheap single-plug surge protector, and then attached to that is a surge power strip. I’m just wonder if this is overkill or whether it would cause a problem during the normal supply of electrical current? I do live in central Florida (lightening capital of the world), so I’m trying to get the best possible protection without sacrificing electric current to my equipment.

Thanks for your help.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Multiple surge protectors shouldn't be a big deal, if they are decent. I've got a brickwall 20A two outlet protector between the 20A wall socket and a tripp-lite isobar 8 outlet protector that almost the whole system is plugged into. Since the BrickWall is upstream from the tripp-lite it filters out all the baddies and should leave nothing for the tripp-lite, which being a few years old and MOV based is basically useless for protection anyway. This method was actually recommended to me by every manufacturer I talked to regarding how best to protect my system - except that they each (of course) recommended their own product to be the main protector.

Given that you live in FL, I'd seriously look into the Brickwall, ZeroSurge or Adcom surge protection products. Best you can get IMO (Zerosurge licenses their technology to Brickwall and Adcom so other than features they are all identical). Then you could put on or more of your multiple outlet deals downstream if you needed more outlets. Adcom stuff is available from Onecall.com - call and ask for Jason - he'll give you a deal. The others brickwall.com and zerosurge.com will get you info and purchase data.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks