Multiple subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett Lundy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I have a Pioneer VSX-D511 home theater reciever. After recently upgrading my old HTiB (Kenwood Vr407) speakers to Paradigm Atoms (x4) and a CC-170 I realise I need to upgrade my crappy sub.

My reciever has a crossover of 100hertz and in addition to running the speakers "large" it has a "Sub+" setting that allows the x-over bass from the center and rear speakers to be sent to the subwoofer while allowing the fronts to focus on their "large" signals.

Thus I was thinking of running two subs:

*A sub to connect to the front L/R mains, via speaker-level connectors, to improve stereo CD listening and give a little more 'Oomph!' with HT.

*A second larger sub for handling the .LFE channel for DVDs as well as the X-overed bass from the center and rear speakers.

Given my speakers (Paradigm Atoms), are there any good suggestions for this set-up, or will just setting all my speakers to "small" and using one subwoofer sound just as good?

I've been reading some posts and think i might try an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer to add to my Atoms (and telling my reciever I have 'Large' mains), and a "rattle your fillings loose" super-sub such as an SVS PC+ 46-16 or an Ultra to add to my .LFE output.

Any better suggestions for my $$$?

2. Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann Stunt Coordinator

I really dont think 2 subs are neccasary, how large is your room?

3. eli

eli Extra

hello garedd i will agree with jaret neuman . before you will spent extra money consider your every decision . how large your room is? how efficient your speakers are? connecting two subs to differnt outputs does it will be work .Try to get subs with speakers terminals and wire them to receiver's speakers output in some stereo combination it will be work pretty fine filtering out [with help of subs crossover] high frequency and sending it back via sub's high level [speaker terminal] output to your speakers i would recommend you exactly the same pair of subs and using them in combination with your main speakers. of course you must use'em working togethet to achieve some balance of bass.REGARDS Eli

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My largest concern was the amount of components I have to connect to my receiver with analog inputs. I don't want to play a heavy bass CD (since analog inputs on a reciever shut-off bass management, yes?) and ruin my new speakers. Thus I figured a second sub coupled to the L/R mains would also act as 'insurance' against bass distortion.

5. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

most are happy with one sub. I was until I got bitten by the sub-bug. I'm currently running one sub through the main speaker output, and one through the sub output. I also have one with my center channel, and one with the surrounds. This may be overkill for some, but in my opinion, it was worth the money. If you decide to go with more than one sub, try having them set at different cutoffs. Good Luck. [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne