Multiple sources at same time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanHughes, Mar 18, 2003.

1. DanHughes

DanHughes Auditioning

I've had my new home theather system installed for over four months and everything's been running smoothly. However, I have found one major annoyance with having everything routed through my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D811S):

I can't watch TV or play Xbox while listening to an audio CD. Or do anything that involves playing multiple sources at the same time.

Even on my ancient Aiwa system from college, I was able to do this.

Is this a limitation with my receiver (or all newer receivers) or am I completely overlooking something simple?

Dan

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm not familiar with your receiver, but i know my onkyo has that capability.

here's how it works on mine

1. switch to video source
    2. switch to audio source. the picture stays on video, but the audio changes to your new input

maybe you could try those steps. does the manual say anything about that capability?

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't think most Pioneer units can do it- I've owned 3, and non of them did it.

I'd check the manual though.

-vince

4. DanHughes

DanHughes Auditioning

Absolutely no mention of it in the manual. Ted--that's what I've been trying to no avail. The receiver just switches and begins looking for both an audio and video feed.

Looks like this is a Pioneer thing. Bizarre. For a real reviewed receiver, I figured this kind of flexibility would absolutely be included.

I guess I'm out of luck. Even one of those $50 component switches won't give me this capability, correct?

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I'm confused. If you are watching TV what do you want your CD player on for? Two audio sources playing at the same time?

Glenn

6. DanHughes

DanHughes Auditioning

I'm not looking to have two audio sources active at the same time--I just want to use audio from a different source than the video input.

Listen to music and watch your local sports team?
    Play Xbox and have your XM radio on?

Pretty simple stuff that's apparently not doable on my receiver.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

bogus dan - looks like you're out of luck.

a component switcher wouldn't make a difference. the receiver still wouldn't be able to route out the signal...

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I just wanted to make sure. Of course there's a way. Disconnect your component cables from your receiver and go out and spend $10 or so on an A/V switcher. Use it to change your component sources, and then you can crank up the receiver for the CD player!

Glenn

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I have a Pioneer receiver and figured out a crude way to do it while watching sports.

I turn the receiver onto the video source, then switch the "optical 1" input (which is what my cd player is hooked up to)to that source. It takes all of 3 seconds to switch with the remote, and whem I'm done, I switch it back to CD.

But you can only switch the digital audio inputs around, so if you don't want to listen to one of them, you're out of luck.