What's new

Multiple Printer Hub? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have 4 computers (3 PC's & 1 Mac) on a wireless network. I also have 3 printers (laser, general purpose color, & photo printer). Does someone make a print server that I can add to my existing router? I'd rather not buy a router with a built-in print server since my router is pretty new.

In case you're wondering I can't seem to print from the network. My Win2k machine can 'see' (& be seen) by the 2 WinXP machines but I can't access files or share printers between the two. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can easily share printers between the two XP machines though.

What are my options?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I also have 3 printers (laser, general purpose color, & photo printer).
Some more information is needed.

What makes are your general-purpose color and photo printer?

Quite a few ink color printers are host based printers and require that they be directly attached to the host. These printers generally do not work with print servers.

Of course the host-based printers can be attached to the host and then shared over the network but that requires that host be on in order to share.

So after all that look at the documentation that came with your color printers to see if they can be used with an external print server.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Quite a few ink color printers are host based printers and require that they be directly attached to the host. These printers generally do not work with print servers.
Ahh...that makes sense. I didn't know that. I'll look through the manuals today.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks