multiple in one out

sbberger

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth Berger
Ok, here's the scenario:
Older Mitsubishi 65313 with NO HDMI inputs has three composite inputs and some secondary ones.
Most of my newer devices of course have the option for HDMI out. Receiver has HDMI in and the sound is much improved.
I need assistance in finding a multi in to one out device
So I want it to have at least three HDMI inputs, at least 2 optical inputs (Laser disc) and composite input would be nice too. And all of that to go to ONE Composite out.
I am not opposed to having a blu-ray DVD player or another device that can serve as two.
Thank you

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
First of all, are you really referring to composite video (a single RCA/coax. cable) or do you mean component video (Red/Blue/Green RCA for video)?

Regardless of the answer to that question you will not be able to "downconvert" from HDMI to analog (composite/component). You can go the other way, but copy protection issues prevent the digital signal of HDMI to be converted to analog.

If you have an analog display device, you must use analog video the whole way from source to display. Component video can carry 1080i HD signals which are virtually indistinguishable to 1080p, so your best bet is to use component video the whole way for the video signal.

You can still use HDMI for the lossless audio (provided your source devices don't disable HDMI when using the analog outputs or vice-versa).

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Seth. :)
I think you might be confusing composite with component.
Both are video only connections, composite is a single yellow cable and the component is three cables, red green and blue. The yellow composite cable will only provide standard definition, you probably wont use this except for your laser disk player. However the red green and blue component connection will provide your tv with HD resolutions, you also have a DVI input on your TV that can be adapted to accept a HDMI connection, adapter can be found here. (Again, this adapted dvi port will still only be video)
Now these four connections are your four HD inputs and they are only for video. So, for audio to your receiver the only way HDMI would make a difference in what you hear might be from a blu ray player, HDMI would allow for a lossless signal if all your gear supports that. Next, an optical cable from your cable box will give you the best sound you will get from your cable box, dolby digital 5.1. Any game consoles will also be connected via optical as, again, they max out at dolby digital.
Any audio connections direct to your tv, if you dont want to use your receiver, will be the standard red and white audio inputs on the back of the tv.

sbberger

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth Berger
yes your correct it's component video.
And thank your for your reply.

sbberger

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth Berger
What about running everything through the receiver via HDMI then to TV using the HDMI-. DVI converter?
Onkyo TX-SR507 and it should be intellegent enough to keep sound local and just push Video?
Thanks again...

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Except that the Onkyo will not upconvert analog video sources (ie your laser disk) to hdmi otherwise that should work fine.

sbberger

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth Berger
That's k, thanks.
The laser disc might be leaving soon and go downstairs.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa