Multiple HD player connections

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
I have a Toshiba HD DVD player and will add the Sony Blu Ray player. Thing is, I only have one HDMI connection on the back of my TV, so I need an HDMI splitter, as it were. I found two, one costing less than $200 and one costing $1,000. What do I really get for $800?

And, there is the matter of the audio cables that plug into my receiver so I get uncompressed sound from all the channels. Is there a splitter available for that, as well, since I'll have a set from each HD player?

Many thanks in advance.

Pat

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does your receiver handle HDMI and if so, how many connections does it have?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
While its currently out of stock, Monoprice has a 1x5 switch for about $115 (here). I would also check with PartsExpress.com (HTF sponsor) to see what they may have.

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
Is there something similar for the audio (LF, C, RF, LS, RS, sub) RCA lines?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, you can use the analogue multichannel audio from the sony blu-ray player to your receiver. You will be able to play the regular DD5.1 and dts5.1 as well as pcm5.1 and when sony issues the firmware upgrade for that player to do onboard processing of the lossless audio formats, you will be able to play those too. You will be limited to 5.1 though for instance if you were to try to play pcm6.1 similar to what the blu-ray Descent has.

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
What about 5.1 audio switchers, similar to an HDMI switcher? Do 5.1 audio switchers exist?

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Good question. I could never find one when I was trying to hook up an SACD player and the DVD-Audio from my DVD player. Now here we go again.

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
How about 6 Y-connectors? As long as you didn't run the players simultaneously and used high quality connectors, it would work, right? Using gold connectors, how much signal degradation could there be?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
An HDMNI switcher that I have from SIMA cost 169 CAD at London Drugs and is a 3 x 1...it performs flawlessly. You do not need a video processor, which is the more expensive item,, and defintiely do NOT need an HDMI switcher that costs that much.

There is another thread about audio switchers....so that you can switch more than 1 analog component.

Hope this helps. You can also email RAF (Fowkes) who is a real guru on this subject.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Patrick,

Yes, they do, apparently. I don't have any personal experience with this machine, but it's discussed in in this post, where you'll also find a link to a picture of the machine they are discussing.

Apparently it's a universal multi-channel analogue amplifier/switcher, labeled for video, but, according to the specs, suited for 5.1ch input as well.

Cees

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have a non HDMI receiver and just bought the PS3 - I'm also thinking of getting the HD-A2.

If I go this route, can I just use digital optical for PS3 and coax cable for the HD-A2 (or vice versa)?

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
Looks like the Zektor unit is good for audio analog as well as video. Problem solved. Thanks, guys!

Pat

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike