What's new

Multidisk universal player (1 Viewer)

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried searching for this on the board but haven't turned up anything, maybe I'm not searching for the right terms.

I've been looking at buying a so-called universal player to get into the DVD-A/SACD world, but have also been thinking about it's time to replace my 8 year old Sony 50 disc CD changer.

I've seen large capacity DVD and even DVD-A capable changers, but I'm wondering if anyone offers something in the area of 200+ disc DVD-A and SACD capable changer. To be honest, I really don't care about regular DVD in this device although I know it will likely handle DVD's too. I just want to be able to stock the thing with a ton of music and never have to touch the discs. I'd prefer to just keep using my single disc DVD player for movies.

So, anyone know of any of these? I'm not really fixed to a particular budget right now, although I'd like to try and stay below about $2k for it if I can.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
As far as I know there is no such beast. Sony is bringing out an SACD/DVD megachanger, but that will mean using the DD/DTS mix for any DVD-As you have.

Cheers

Steve

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve. I've been coming to that conclusion myself. I was just hoping someone might know of one. Maybe I'll just buy a reasonably priced single disc player for now and hope someone makes a megachanger down the road.

(Edited to add an indefinite article before megachanger. I'm not a cave man, I swear. :))

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Adam
I would stick to CD changers. I have 3 cd changers and 1 dvd changer.
The dvd changer is much slower switching between discs and can not shuffle random play and other things. I like it for the fact I put a DVD in and never touch it again.

BTW if you get another cd changer, you can shuffle between them and cut the waiting time between songs to nothing.

Serge Ch

Agent
Pioneer is coming with universal 5-disk changer this june as part of home theater in box. Not sure though if it will be available as separate

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Serge,

Do you have a link regarding the Pioneer home-theater-in-a-box? It would be very curious for Pioneer not to offer such a player separately.

Adam,

I have heard nothing about universal changers yet. If Serge's information is correct, the Pioneer unit would be the first. As I said in reply to Serge, I would hope that Pioneer would offer the changer separately. They have to know that no one else would have such a changer on the market.

GeorgeC

Agent
I've been waiting for a multidisk universal player, too. It's strange how long it's taken for them to be announced. Give me something like the Sony 555 but with DVD-A, too, and I'm buying it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Serge,

Thanks for posting the link. Some of the components are integrated, meaning the DVD player and receiver are in one box. It is not clear if the universal changer will be a discrete component. I hope so. The trend with home theaters in a box is integrated components. Sony even did that with its ES line. :rolleyes

George,

I'd like to see Denon retire the DVM-4800 (going on two years old) in favor of a universal changer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
George, hopefully it won't be too long before we see a high-quality universal changer. There are some good single-disc players now, and Denon is coming out with its first universal player later this year. It's only natural for these companies to expand into changers.

Serge Ch

Agent
Some of the components are integrated, meaning the DVD player and receiver are in one box. It is not clear if the universal changer will be a discrete component. I hope so. The trend with home theaters in a box is integrated components. Sony even did that with its ES line.
The current Pioneer HTiB is not integrated, but made of componets. Hopefully the new one would be similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks