Multichannel setup ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brad Newton, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I am trying to setup the multi channel portion of the Pioneer 45a and have a couple of questions. Should the speakers be set to large or small (Paradigm Monitor 7, cc370, atoms & pdr12), on the options for cd playback, should this be PCM or DTS & for DVD playback should I choose DVD audio or video? My receiver is the Pioneer 45tx.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Generally if you’re using a sub you want to set the speakers to small. This sends all low frequencies to the sub, and usually results in better bass response than you would have with low frequency signals from multiple sources interfering with each other.

CD playback will be PCM. I can’t understand the rest of the question because you have a long run-on sentence there (which is probably why no one has responsed to these relatively easy questions).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Choosing DVD-audio defaults the player to the dvd-a section of the disc if it has one, and dvd-video if it doesn't.

If you are into DVD-A this is the option to choose, because it will start playing the hirez-audio area as soon as a dvd-a disc is put in (most discs).

If you choose DVD-V it will start playing the video section of a dvd-a disc, and if you want to hear the hirez tracks you need to choose it from the menu or player setup.

I have had some dvd-v discs confuse the player tho

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

This sacd/dvd audio is confusing to me. Here's what I want to be able to do: I want to be able to watch a dvd movie, & then if I want to listen to a sacd or dvd audio, I just want to be able to select the multi channel in on the receiver. How is this accomplished? I was trying to follow the manual, it says under initial settings to select sacd playback & gives 2 channel or 5.1 as the selections. Under Audio output it gives the same 2 choices. Which should I choose? Presently, I only have a digital cable from the 45a to the 45ts & I can listen to dvd audio, regular cd but no sacd. I understand this since I do not have the 5.1 analog cables connected. To make matters more confusing, 1 dvd audio played & 96hz was on the receiver display (it would not let me choose PLII music), but another allowed me to choose PLII music, but it did not display 96hz. Does the direct stereo selection have something to do with this? Also, I have read somewhere that the 45a has weak bass & must be increased. Is this in both sacd & dvd audio? Do I just increase the sub channel level to achieve this?

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The player needs to be set to "audio" and "multichannel",this will enable the player to access to all of the disc contents.
    The 45A won't send out any MLP encoded DVD-A signals[multichannel]or SACD in any channel configuration.The DVD-A you claim to hear is probably the Dolby or DTS tracks that's also avaibale on most DVD-A discs,however that tells me that you still have the player in "video" mode.
    Yes, you need 3pairs of analog interconnect cable or 6 single, which ever. None of the current DSP chips like DPL-II can process the signal in 96k mode,most current digital receivers when receive such signal simply bypass their DSP circuits for signal purity.
    The ones that you can say, to decode with DPL-II is probably sampled at 48k or lower.